Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
transmission clunking (2.0t auto) and an AM radio that is so full of static you can't even listen to it.

they tried a new radio and had the same results. It appears there is a grounding problem in the car somewhere that cant be found. The radio gets worse when the lights are on, or I plug in a phone charger (crazy weird alien noises then).

this is the third trip back to the dealer (neither was ever fixed at any point).
Amazingly, after calling corporate, the dealer supplied me with a loaner car.

Will post with results, especially about the clunking trans.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A lot of states a dealer has 3 chances to fix a problem and if they cant you can lemon the car.

Its stories like this that make me glad I didnt end up trading in my car for an 07 wagon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When was the last time you saw someone post on this forum about a Passat that was performing perfectly, and they talked about how happy they were with it? Not often; satisfied people don't post very much. On the other hand, not only the serious problems but blown fuses and wipers that "shouldn't" wear out make it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, individual complaints don't say anything about the car generally.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
When was the last time you saw someone post on this forum about a Passat that was performing perfectly, and they talked about how happy they were with it? Not often; satisfied people don't post very much. On the other hand, not only the serious problems but blown fuses and wipers that "shouldn't" wear out make it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, individual complaints don't say anything about the car generally.
Meh, I tried :angel:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172702

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I wouldn't waste your time with a transmission problem... do the lemon law.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the first two times I took it in, the dealer returned it saying "this is a sophisticated transmission and that is why it clunks."

what an insult to anyone that has ever driven a car!!!

I think after finally calling corporate, they are getting serious about the problem.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
you are talking me out of getting another passat. too bad that VW still hasn't woken up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Passat clunked, loudly, whenever I would slow down and then re-accelerate in traffic. CLUNK!

After a while, I just grew to accept it. I did, however, wonder if I was doing damage to the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pzzat, describe your transmission clunk in more detail. Under what conditions does it make the noise? Does it make the noise every time the condition occurs? How loud? How prolonged? Any accompanying vibration?

With that sort of info, the people on this board who actually know something might provide a helpful response. So far what you've gotten is mostly the usual silly gripping.

·
Registered
49 Posts
See if you can diagnose mine....

1) I'm driving about 40 mph in some traffic
2) I slow down to about 25 mph
3) I accelerate moderately
4) CLUNK

What is it?

·
Registered
421 Posts
probably loose subframe mounts. They need to be changed and not re-torqued. Also check engine mounts. HAVE THEM CHECK IT. call VWoA, and tell whats going on and that you KNOW What it should be the problem but the dealer refuses to look at it, they WILL call the dealer and have them work on it. dont take a no for an answer.. if there is a problem it should be fixed. (period). Be nice about it thou... talk on an easy/firm tone... dont get upset. and you should be all right!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See if you can diagnose mine....

1) I'm driving about 40 mph in some traffic
2) I slow down to about 25 mph
3) I accelerate moderately
4) CLUNK

What is it?
this is it exactly.
everytime you are in slow traffic (under 40mph) coasting and you let off the throttle and then re-apply the throttle....CLUNK!

The service manager and I went for a ride in a Passat off of the lot and it did not have this problem. It was at this point (and a call from corporate)that the dealer decided to really take a look at the problem.
I mentioned the subframe bolts coming loose and they said they would look at it, but thought they would not cause this because then it should clunk when starting from a dead stop if those bolts were loose.

As for talking "nice" to them, I deal with clients in the architectural field all day long, so I have a good idea of how to maintain a respectful dialogue while getting the point accross.
Pretty frustraing though when you have to come back three times and threaten corporate with things like "I will post on every automotive forum and fill out every survey I can" before they start to take you seriously.

·
Registered
49 Posts
this is it exactly.
everytime you are in slow traffic (under 40mph) coasting and you let off the throttle and then re-apply the throttle....CLUNK!

The service manager and I went for a ride in a Passat off of the lot and it did not have this problem. It was at this point (and a call from corporate)that the dealer decided to really take a look at the problem.
I mentioned the subframe bolts coming loose and they said they would look at it, but thought they would not cause this because then it should clunk when starting from a dead stop if those bolts were loose.

As for talking "nice" to them, I deal with clients in the architectural field all day long, so I have a good idea of how to maintain a respectful dialogue while getting the point accross.
Pretty frustraing though when you have to come back three times and threaten corporate with things like "I will post on every automotive forum and fill out every survey I can" before they start to take you seriously.

This is not a problem. It is a 'feature'. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Disappointing, but keep after them. They'll try their usual "they all do that" and "no problem" on you first. Get used to picking the car up after it is supposidly "fixed," and then driving it around the block right back into the service entrance if the problem is still there. Eventually they'll get the idea.

Keep track of their efforts, and don't let them do a thing without writing it up and giving you a work order, in case you need to push for a Lemon Law resolution.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There was a recent technical bulletin release for earlier 06 2.0T Passats with issues regarding harsh or erratic shifts. The repair is a new valve body and reprogramming the TCM. Ask them if they've explored that avenue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There was a recent technical bulletin release for earlier 06 2.0T Passats with issues regarding harsh or erratic shifts. The repair is a new valve body and reprogramming the TCM. Ask them if they've explored that avenue.
would you happen to have a link that I could print and bring in to them?
thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same exact symptom on my 2.0T. I am starting to believe that most Passats out there do this. Mine didn't start on the first day. It started after probably 800-1000 miles and has been like that ever since but has not gotten any worse...yet. The brand-new Passat from the lot that I test drove when I took mine to the dealer to be checked out did not do it. However, the test-drive car did do it.

Consumer Reports noticed it on their test drive of the Passat. What seems odd is that VW reps calls it "normal" because other Passats (not all) do it. No engineer would design a transmission with such a "feature."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts