Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've had my '98 1.8T tiptronic wagon for a year now, and have really taken to estate cars!

I've noticed that here in the UK the W8 is not very common at all (I heard a figure of 300 sold, both saloon and estate!) and they're starting to creep out of the woodwork now they're 3 years old at really cheap prices.

A W8 estate was the thick end of 32,000 GBP before options, and most were around 35k by the time sat nav, auto box etc were added. There are average mileage estates for around 10-11,000 GBP now and I've been keeping my eye out for the perfect spec (metallic blue with black leather, if it was available, sat nav/TV, auto estate)

The main things I'm worried about in making the swap are concerns over reliability of the W8 - anything specific that causes problems? - and fuel consumption. I get an average of 25-28 mpg (Euro gallons rather than US) in mixed driving rising to 32mpg on a run sitting at about 80mph. Can anyone comment who's made the move, or can quote realistic real world economy with the W8 (and please state units so I can convert!)

With fuel now sitting at 85 pence per litre economy is an issue, but only if it's significantly worse that my under powered 1.8T which struggles to pull itself about with 150BHP!

Thanks in advance

Adrian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are currently 3 W8s on UK eBay, 2 estates and a saloon. Also 8 (5 estates) on Auto Trader which is the biggest UK wide place to look for used cars.

Just had a look, and believe it or not there's only 5 2.8s under 3 years old on Auto Trader and only 1 of those is an estate :eek:

Think many people with the money to spend bought Audi A4s with 2.8s and clearly the W8 isn't the most obvious choice given the prices new

Adrian

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
AFAIK there were 248 W8s registered in the UK. Yes they are rare.

As for mpg (US), over more than 3,000 + miles I averaged 23 mpg. However, I live in the country and commute 22 miles each way (4 traffic lights, 3 stop signs).

Drive one first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply - 23mpg US equates to 27/28mpg UK which is not too shabby in my book.

Where'd your figure for UK registrations come from? Would be interested in any W8 resources, particularly spec related - online pdfs of brochures would be useful, particularly if they relate to UK spec.

Funny that 4% of total UK sales are currently available to buy!

I'd love to have a drive in a W8, and if one that's for sale now is still available in about 3 weeks I'll be down where it is for Xmas so can have a go then. I'm looking for something that's effortless to drive (hence auto) and with plenty of torque, which my 1.8T is sadly lacking.

My other drive is a Seat Leon Cupra R 225, which to those that don't know is the same engine as the Audi TT but front wheel drive only, so I'm after something with similar or slightly lower performance, without any effort in terms of gear changing.

Any specific comments about how the W8 drives compared to other Passats?

Cheers

Adrian

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow Tom, you're getting good mileage.

I pretty consistently return 18-19 mpg (US) - ~23 mpg (UK) - in all conditions, though it's mostly what I would consider city driving (despite also living in the country). With the 80L tank, my range is typically 550-600km (~350mi) when the fuel light comes on.

Fortunately, the TDI is the daily driver, so I don't mind tolerating the W8's fuel economy, since it only accounts for about 25% of the family driving.

re: driving experience, the word "effortless" comes to mind. It's not the kind of power or delivery that really punches you in the back and snaps your neck (like a turbo), and you don't have to constantly row around the gears to have power under foot. It's just very smooth, strong and unrelenting. It's a grand tourer much more than a canyon carver, at least "out of the box" - the car feels incredibly planted and secure at speed, but tight twisties can feel unsettling, IMO. Of course, the 4mo is great fun and works so well when the situation demands it.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I average about 20 mpg (US) in mixed driving with a sometimes heavy foot.
The W8 is in a class by itself, and worth it.
If you do most of the maintenance work yourself, you'll be okay expense wise.
The engine compartment is cramped, so things like airfilter and sparkplug changes are more labor intensive.
Needless to say, you will use twice as many plugs, and half again as much oil.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Hi all

I've had my '98 1.8T tiptronic wagon for a year now, and have really taken to estate cars!

I've noticed that here in the UK the W8 is not very common at all (I heard a figure of 300 sold, both saloon and estate!) and they're starting to creep out of the woodwork now they're 3 years old at really cheap prices.

A W8 estate was the thick end of 32,000 GBP before options, and most were around 35k by the time sat nav, auto box etc were added. There are average mileage estates for around 10-11,000 GBP now and I've been keeping my eye out for the perfect spec (metallic blue with black leather, if it was available, sat nav/TV, auto estate)

The main things I'm worried about in making the swap are concerns over reliability of the W8 - anything specific that causes problems? - and fuel consumption. I get an average of 25-28 mpg (Euro gallons rather than US) in mixed driving rising to 32mpg on a run sitting at about 80mph. Can anyone comment who's made the move, or can quote realistic real world economy with the W8 (and please state units so I can convert!)

With fuel now sitting at 85 pence per litre economy is an issue, but only if it's significantly worse that my under powered 1.8T which struggles to pull itself about with 150BHP!

Thanks in advance

Adrian
It sounds like your main problem is that you haven't invested $1600 in a new turbocharger and a matching ECU program. You can bump your HP by 100 if you work it right.

That's almost as much power as the W8, for what? A fifteenth of the cost?

·
15,698 Posts
The W8 is all about low end torque. You will never get a 1.8T that can match the low end torque of a W8. Therefore, there is much less engine wear with a W8 vs 1.8T.

·
15,698 Posts
Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply - 23mpg US equates to 27/28mpg UK which is not too shabby in my book.

Where'd your figure for UK registrations come from? Would be interested in any W8 resources, particularly spec related - online pdfs of brochures would be useful, particularly if they relate to UK spec.

Funny that 4% of total UK sales are currently available to buy!

I'd love to have a drive in a W8, and if one that's for sale now is still available in about 3 weeks I'll be down where it is for Xmas so can have a go then. I'm looking for something that's effortless to drive (hence auto) and with plenty of torque, which my 1.8T is sadly lacking.

My other drive is a Seat Leon Cupra R 225, which to those that don't know is the same engine as the Audi TT but front wheel drive only, so I'm after something with similar or slightly lower performance, without any effort in terms of gear changing.

Any specific comments about how the W8 drives compared to other Passats?

Cheers

Adrian
Adrian check out my website. There are a few Brits listed.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The W8 is all about low end torque. You will never get a 1.8T that can match the low end torque of a W8. Therefore, there is much less engine wear with a W8 vs 1.8T.
No, you'll just wear out the crank bearings instead of the piston rings. It doesn't matter, you still have to pull the pistons out and drop the crank to perform either type of service. It boils down to the sexiness of having an 8-cylinder engine in a car that small, which I have to admit I do understand. This guy's underrating his 1.8t though, and that I won't stand for. The 1.8t is THE engine for people who want to start small and go big.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Its takes a t28 to get near W8 numbers with a 1.8T. That a ~$5k investment in kit, plus time to install to get 270hp/275tq. Meanwhile you increase boost by a huge amount, likely causing parts to fail prematurely and definitly void any powertrain warranty. Also, the w8 gets torque immedately, unlike a BT 1.8T. Sure you can go huge on the 1.8T, but you'll hurt relaibility, warranty, and daily drivablity. For many, many people, the w8 is a better option for getting 270hp.
Also, esp in the UK, the W8 comes with many goodies that just aren't seen with the 1.8T.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the thoughts folks, I appreciate it :thumbup:

The thought of modding my existing 1.8T crossed my mind briefly, but I'll still be stuck with the rest of my existing car which is ratty, being kind to it! It uses more oil than I'd like, has rust blisters on the roof and I know has seen paint over at least 1 third of the car. To start with I'd have to sort all the existing issues on a car that cost me £2500, and which I could probably sell now with a fresh cam belt, brake fluid, pads, air-con service done for nearer £3000 after a year.

I have nothing against the engine whatsoever - as I said, my Leon is basically using the same engine with a k04s turbo and twin intercoolers as standard, producing a reliable and fun 225BHP.

The standard 150BHP is just about adequate for me in a car this size, but seems to end up using more fuel because it's under engined for the weight. I'm sure the V6 would be about the right balance, but most were bought by sales reps and farmers and have led hard lives as working cars.

Insurance is a big factor here too - my 1.8T costs £350 GBP a year fully comp, as against £550 for a W8 - a modded 1.8T would be more like £1000.

Adrian

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Its takes a t28 to get near W8 numbers with a 1.8T. That a ~$5k investment in kit, plus time to install to get 270hp/275tq. Meanwhile you increase boost by a huge amount, likely causing parts to fail prematurely and definitly void any powertrain warranty. Also, the w8 gets torque immedately, unlike a BT 1.8T. Sure you can go huge on the 1.8T, but you'll hurt relaibility, warranty, and daily drivablity. For many, many people, the w8 is a better option for getting 270hp.
Also, esp in the UK, the W8 comes with many goodies that just aren't seen with the 1.8T.
A better option until they hit the 100k service, anyway...:whistle:

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts folks, I appreciate it :thumbup:

The thought of modding my existing 1.8T crossed my mind briefly, but I'll still be stuck with the rest of my existing car which is ratty, being kind to it! It uses more oil than I'd like, has rust blisters on the roof and I know has seen paint over at least 1 third of the car. To start with I'd have to sort all the existing issues on a car that cost me £2500, and which I could probably sell now with a fresh cam belt, brake fluid, pads, air-con service done for nearer £3000 after a year.

I have nothing against the engine whatsoever - as I said, my Leon is basically using the same engine with a k04s turbo and twin intercoolers as standard, producing a reliable and fun 225BHP.

The standard 150BHP is just about adequate for me in a car this size, but seems to end up using more fuel because it's under engined for the weight. I'm sure the V6 would be about the right balance, but most were bought by sales reps and farmers and have led hard lives as working cars.

Insurance is a big factor here too - my 1.8T costs £350 GBP a year fully comp, as against £550 for a W8 - a modded 1.8T would be more like £1000.

Adrian
Oh god, the car is rusting out? Okay, never mind.

BTW, your logic regarding the gas mileage is flawed. It takes the same amount of energy to move the same amount of weight the same distance at the same speed, regardless of the energy source. The 1.8t is a more efficient engine than the V6 or the W8, not least because it weighs less. Your gas mileage WILL go down if you buy one of those, especially if you get stuck in traffic frequently.

·
Registered
973 Posts
A better option until they hit the 100k service, anyway...:whistle:
I have a feeling you are insinuating the W8 needs a timing chain service at 100k miles. This is not so. It's a chain, not a belt and will last longer than a belt. VW does not list a maintenance interval for timing chain replacement. Perhaps at 150k miles you could (but not necessary) do it on your own accord as a preventive measure. And yes, it may cost $4k to change the timing chain, but that's the same on S4, other Audis (VWGUY knows which ones) and some MBs. IMO, $4k at 150k miles is alot better than dumping $30k+ on a new/used car. With 150k miles on the ticker, owners have been without a car payment for a while by now, so $4k should not be that big of a problem. That's about a year's worth of payments on a new German car.

The 100k miles service is an oil change, tire rotation, fluids.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've spoken to VW in the UK and will hopefully be receiving a colour copy of an original sales brochure - even more hopefully with details of options available when new.

On the subject of fuel consumption - I know it'll be similar or worse than what I've got now, my question related to by how much.

The other cars I'm considering are the Audi S6 Avant (because you can get it as an auto, which the S4 isn't available with at that age) or Merc E-class of some sort.

Will hopefully get to have a go in a W8 in the next few weeks and will see how we go.

Adrian

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I have a feeling you are insinuating the W8 needs a timing chain service at 100k miles. This is not so. It's a chain, not a belt and will last longer than a belt. VW does not list a maintenance interval for timing chain replacement. Perhaps at 150k miles you could (but not necessary) do it on your own accord as a preventive measure. And yes, it may cost $4k to change the timing chain, but that's the same on S4, other Audis (VWGUY knows which ones) and some MBs. IMO, $4k at 150k miles is alot better than dumping $30k+ on a new/used car. With 150k miles on the ticker, owners have been without a car payment for a while by now, so $4k should not be that big of a problem. That's about a year's worth of payments on a new German car.

The 100k miles service is an oil change, tire rotation, fluids.
Primarily what I'm concerned with is that:

1. The W8 is a low-volume engine and as such, even if repairs were just as easy as on the 1.8t, they would still cost more. Given that repairing a W8 is more difficult than repairing a 1.8t, the price is that much higher.

2. As such, buying a W8 used is asking to spend much more money in the near future than buying a used 1.8t or a V6 is. It just seems like one of those engines that is a bad idea to buy unless it's new.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Primarily what I'm concerned with is that:

1. The W8 is a low-volume engine and as such, even if repairs were just as easy as on the 1.8t, they would still cost more. Given that repairing a W8 is more difficult than repairing a 1.8t, the price is that much higher.

2. As such, buying a W8 used is asking to spend much more money in the near future than buying a used 1.8t or a V6 is. It just seems like one of those engines that is a bad idea to buy unless it's new.
Do you ever read what you type. You are comparing apples to oranges. The 1.8T may provide more hp/tq but it will never be on demand because of turbo lag. Also the W8 comes with so many more features.

Also your numbers for a turbo upgrade are pretty off the wall. It would cost alot more then that even if you piece together a kit.

Once you actaully know something come back and make a comment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts