Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to introduce my wife to the world of german motoring with a used 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus after years of Toyotas and Fords. The car is a company car of a good friend on ours and his company is selling it. I know there hasn't been any big accidents (aside from an incident with a ditch while avoiding a distracted driver in the next lane over) or major repairs, but the milage is nearly 100k. The service has always been timely. What kind of things should I be on the lookout for? My wife will be adding about 20k miles a year and we are looking to keep it for at least another 7-10 years.

It is silver on black, premium plus package, and keyless ignition. It includes both keys, racks, manuals, and a set of winter tires (just the tires, no wheels). There is a medium sized dent on the front fender from the aforementioned ditch, but no paint was involved. What would be a good price on this (KBB, Edmunds, and NADA are all over the place on this)? Any other words of advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
The ONLY high mileage German I'd ever put $17,500 (KBB "Good condition Private Sale) towards is the 82-85 Mercedes 123 or 126 Chassis but that's just me. If it's just about inexpensive commuter, you can get a cheap Asian ride new for that price with a warranty. If it's about style, then go with this. The Q5 came out after my service advisor days were over so I can't comment specifically. All I can say is expect it to act like anything else that's German with over 100,000 miles. Whatever does break will not be cheap unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
196 Posts
with over 100,000 miles. Whatever does break ......
agreed.
Cynically I believe all cars are designed and built to drive 100k or 5 yrs; anything over that is hard work and expensive to maintain. I love the posts where I hear of 400k miles achieved. I think that $17k5 is a little too much for this especially as you want 7-10yrs, not saying it wont, just what VWGUY states!

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
agreed.
Cynically I believe all cars are designed and built to drive 100k or 5 yrs; anything over that is hard work and expensive to maintain. I love the posts where I hear of 400k miles achieved. I think that $17k5 is a little too much for this especially as you want 7-10yrs, not saying it wont, just what VWGUY states!
Just because our last few cars are Asian, I haven't turned against German cars. It's just obvious by the forums as well as having owned several that they cost when they do break. I'm looking out the window at my new Sonata and my sister's 2005 Mk 5 Jetta that she's had since new. 11 years next month. Still looks and drives great but when it breaks.... Everything that's "broken" since her 100K Master Guard warranty expired was $$$.
100,300 miles - Cooling Fan Module - $1100
125,000 - Transmission Conductor Plate - $1500
126,000 - Water Pump - $900
133,000 - Vacuum Pump - $900
140,000 - Drivers Door Wiring Harness - $800+

Plus those are all besides maintenance and normal wear items. A couple of Check Engine lights in there too - well it's a VW lol. A few weeks back, it threw a code for Throttle Position Sensor - requiring a $1000 throttle body. It cleared itself within a day. random? Will it come back? Will a Throttle Body Service remedy it ? Granted those are all dealer prices since I can't work on it anymore but you get the idea.

·
Registered
28,336 Posts
Ask your buddy if he ever checked the oil level (not sure if they have a dipstick on that motor) or even had the low oil level warning go off. If it's not burning oil by now, it should be good to go for a long time. Since you know how the Passat has aged, you should have an idea of how something based on the Passat (but 3 generations newer) will age. They did work out most of the issues by 2012 as the B8 had been out for 4+ years at that point.

What are the price ranges for trade in? That is what I would be looking for.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! Trade in is about $17000. We test drove the Q5 today and it was really nice, though a lot smaller than I thought it would be inside.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Not knowing the VIN of course, you better run it on safercar.gov. I was just checking if any of our cars are effected and saw the 09-12 Q5 is on the list.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the advice, guys. We ended up skipping the Audi and going with a Toyota Sienna that my wife really wanted. Happy Mother's Day indeed! It's actually much nicer than I anticipated and being a Toyota, it will probably provide hassle free motoring for years to come.

Reactions: VWGUY4EVER
1 - 8 of 8 Posts