Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a Z last weekend when my friend rented one when he came to visit. We took it out on some twisties. That thing can handle no doubt.:rolleyes: Had massive acceleration and it was only an automatic. The exhaust note is just something to die for. No mods necessary. Ready to go right out of the box. Made me :biglaugh: when driving.

Would you guys do it? I found a pretty good deal on a 2003 350Z. 6spd, LSD, TC, Xenons, Leather, Nav. All of the good stuff. Would have to sell my Passat and Audi Coupe. Not sure what to do. Hard to say goodbye to my Passat.

Has anyone driven a 2003 with 287 bhp and 271 lbs of torque vs. the 2005+ which has 300bhp but 260 lbs of torque? My thought is that there would really be no difference. Though the newer has more bhp, the lower torque would be a factor.

TIA for any good and sound advice.:)

·
Registered
952 Posts
well, if you ditch the Passat, you'll lose a lot of spaciousness and ability to haul four more people around. But if you don't like to cheauffer people around, then Hells Bells son, get on it!

·
Registered
300 Posts
A friend mine used to have a Z. It was fun and all, but not practical as a daily driver. He sold it in favor of something with more than one cupholder and back seats.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a chance to buy a 91 Audi 200 3B engine which is a dirrect bolt in to the 91 Coupe I have. So I have thought about the S2 conversion. Which may not be a bad idea. Just not sure if I want to spend the money to convert. I do admit though, that having an S2 would be kick a$$. Believe it or not though, my Coupe has been the most reliable so I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice that in the conversion.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
I've driven a '91 TT with 400bhp. *That* is a fun car. But totally impractical as a daily. It gets very small, very quickly. And it's not really good in snow.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Gets small? I'm pretty sure it starts the same size it ends up as, unless you're hitting things. ;)

The Z is a great GT car, with cool little technology tidbits that makes you smile. i.e. its probably the only large scale production car w/ a carbon fiber driveshaft. The VQ is just great all around. And get the Brembo brakes if you can. Everything just works well together.

However, you must realize its a GT car, and you have to be pretty hamfisted to get the most of it. It's big and it's heavy. It lacks the finesse of something like an S2000, or an RX-8. Expect to be sideways, and expect it often. Never lift. Ever. But it will reward you handsomely.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gets small? I'm pretty sure it starts the same size it ends up as, unless you're hitting things. ;)

The Z is a great GT car, with cool little technology tidbits that makes you smile. i.e. its probably the only large scale production car w/ a carbon fiber driveshaft. The VQ is just great all around. And get the Brembo brakes if you can. Everything just works well together.

However, you must realize its a GT car, and you have to be pretty hamfisted to get the most of it. It's big and it's heavy. It lacks the finesse of something like an S2000, or an RX-8. Expect to be sideways, and expect it often. Never lift. Ever. But it will reward you handsomely.

Believe me, I have already had a couple sleepless nights lying there thinking about the car and justifying selling my Passat and Audi. Just gotta see what I find this weekend. Gonna hit up some Nissan dealers. ButI would rather buy from a private seller on Craig's list. Can't really afford a brand new one but one on a trade in might be okay. Have you had any experience with the 6spd?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My GTO (2006 A4) smokes 350z/G35s all day long (at the track and the street). I beat them by a full second in the 1/4 every time, both cars being stock. Their prbolem is they can't get off the line since they have no torque. No doubt they have a good suspension, but life is driving from stop light to stop light or on a straight freeway 97% of the time.

Go test drive a LS2 GTO before you seriouslly decide to get a V6. The 400lb-ft torque of the LS2 is addicting. The aftermarket sucks for VQ, only way to make them fast is FI, which is very expensive. A used 2005 GTO with under 20K miles can be found for $20-21K if you look hard. Plus having 4 seats is nice if you need it.

Ah I love spreading the GTO love here :D

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
No doubt they have a good suspension, but life is driving from stop light to stop light or on a straight freeway 97% of the time.
Life's what you make of it. :p If drag racing light to light gets your blood pumping, congrats. I find street racing boring.

LS2's are much better suited in something like a Corvette, or...a 240SX. :D

The VQ transmissions are alright. Pretty beefy, well gated, with good throw length, but not as short or precise as say, a Honda gearbox.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
However, you must realize its a GT car, and you have to be pretty hamfisted to get the most of it. It's big and it's heavy. It lacks the finesse of something like an S2000, or an RX-8.
Excellent point. I'm always amazed at the piggish handling of the 300ZX when I start to throw it around a little bit. By now, you'd think I'd be used to it, but I drive it so infrequently as to forget the negatives and focus on the fun factor.

I've only been in a 350Z once, but I got the impression that it would be similar to the earlier generation.

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
I have driven the 03, but with a few upgrades it was pushing 300hp. It was a blast to drive, but very loud for a daily driver. Torque was much better than I expected and handling was great. ESP or whatever Nissan calls it was very intrusive. The car is a blast to slide around a corner.

I don't think I could survive it on the highway trips I take, but for local stuff it would be fine.

·
Registered
752 Posts
...The Z is a great GT car, with cool little technology tidbits that makes you smile. i.e. its probably the only large scale production car w/ a carbon fiber driveshaft. ...
Hardly, some Dodge Dakota's came with those. I am sure there are others too.

Having known people that have owned 350z's they all ended up selling them. It seems the initial drive is enough to buy them, but after a few months they lose interest in making the payments, the cars become vanilla it seems.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm also cosidering G35 coupes. Only porblem is that too many automatics out there and not enough 6spds:banghead: . I guess the general public is afraid of them or just lazy?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The general public has to sit in stop and go traffic 5 days a week and doesn't feel like shifting gears.
I drove sticks for 12 years, loved it, but when I hit 30 I bought my first automatic. Haven't looked back.
Trust me, one day YOU TOO will be old and your knees will hurt and you'll be thinking of more important things like your family, job, career, life, etc. that shifting in rush hour traffic just isn't all it's cracked up to be.
The only cars where manuals are still popular (in the USA) are a) small cheap cars and b) dedicated race cars. I don't consider the 350Z a dedicated race car, it's more like GT. By dedicated race car I mean something like an Evo, STi, etc.
Enjoy your youth while you can !! Shift those gears !!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The general public has to sit in stop and go traffic 5 days a week and doesn't feel like shifting gears.
I drove sticks for 12 years, loved it, but when I hit 30 I bought my first automatic. Haven't looked back.
Trust me, one day YOU TOO will be old and your knees will hurt and you'll be thinking of more important things like your family, job, career, life, etc. that shifting in rush hour traffic just isn't all it's cracked up to be.
The only cars where manuals are still popular (in the USA) are a) small cheap cars and b) dedicated race cars. I don't consider the 350Z a dedicated race car, it's more like GT. By dedicated race car I mean something like an Evo, STi, etc.
Enjoy your youth while you can !! Shift those gears !!
Huh? I'll be 40 in a couple years and I still drive stick everyday! Never has bothered my knees - must be clean living? :)

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
It's a symptom of the greater problem of taking driving for granted. Rather than concentrate on driving we "need" cars that require less attention to operate so we can eat lunch, read the paper, and talk on the phone about our family, job, life, etc while doing it.

Do us a favor and try and fit a few brain cycles for driving in there :)

Personally I like demanding vehicles.. then every trip is like a little vacation.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts