Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like my 60-1 may be on its way out (I'm getting oil seepage from around the turbine housing). So in the interest of experimentation and going faster i'm seriously considering picking up a journal bearing comp turbo CT3 5556 with a billet compressor w an extended tip upgrade. I can pick one up for around $800 shipped, so bang for the buck it's a no Brainer.

I think it should make more power at lower RPM to boot as compared to the 60-1. The comp 7 blade compressor likes much higher pressure ratios than the 60-1 and the extended tip upgrade will help get into positive pressure faster at elevation.

So if anyone is considering a BT project, I strongly recommend checking he Comp turbo entry level turbos. They have everything from GT28r sizes to GT35r and most are around $600-$900. I spoke to these guys at some length and they know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hi T,

Have you seen the new turbos from Borg-Warner? EFR (engineered for racing) may not be the best name for them, because they should work very well on the street, too. The turbine is different, it is more of an axial flow design and because it has a smaller diameter it spins up a lot faster. I've heard that these actually work at high power applications, but if your t60 is on its way out, you may want to look at one of those:

Borg Warner 6258 EFR Turbo- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

Spools like a k04, holds onto power like a t-72. Looks like there may be one group that has made some manifolds for 1.8t motors, but they bolt onto the usual t3 or t4 flanges like I think you already have with your t-60. Because they are both new and in demand, they will probably command full price.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes, I'm well acquainted with the EFR series. Great design, mainly in part to the turbine design, the Gamma-Ti alloy is extremely lightweight and allows for the use of a fullback design turbine. So they have awesome transient response. However that same turbine design is a weakness as well since it's very brittle which means it can't take any sort of minor impact, it's also hard to manufacture/machine.

Actually, the reason that they're in such short supply is that BW had massive issues with turbine failures and had to basically stop production until they resolved it. BW's supplier for the turbines had a lot of scrap rates on the turbines and since Gamma-Ti is so expensive they just recycled it into new turbines. Problem is that every time you do that it weakens the metal to the point where the turbines in the assembled units were failing.

Also, just for everyone's information, here's a link to Comp Turbo's intro line.
Comp Turbo - Entry Level Turbos

You can also get all these in their Triple ball bearing configuration (which are rebuildable and can be custom made to order, same as the journal bearing series)

·
Registered
27,591 Posts
Only #6? I thought you had blown more than that :p

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since they make their turbos to order they can make any configuration you want, both in the journal bearing and Triplex bearing types. So yes, they'll have an exact 2871 type and with the billet compressors they have, they'll probably spool faster than a GT2871r at the same power ratings.

Check the AZ thread below, I think they address your question somewhere in it
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/500049-Low-price-turbos

PS: I just placed the order for the 5556, so stay tuned for how it works out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Since they make their turbos to order they can make any configuration you want, both in the journal bearing and Triplex bearing types. So yes, they'll have an exact 2871 type and with the billet compressors they have, they'll probably spool faster than a GT2871r at the same power ratings.

Low price turbos.

are you getting it in journal bearing or tripplex bearing?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
journal bearing, the triplex adds quite a bit to the price and it's just within my budget at the time.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts

Low price turbos.

THanks....at $1000 less than a GT, this is in my range.

Edit.....found it:

The exact replacement to the GT2871R is the CT2 4947, only available with the billet wheel.

However, is not part of the Entry Level Series.
.....but 470hp? Those aren't 2871 numbers...the 4447 is more like 2871 numbers.

Edit 2:

Emailed them already on the 4447 and 4947.

I'm confused on their 3 options (water, water/oil, nonwater).

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it's a great price for sure, I ended up getting it with the extended tip upgrade, shipped to my door in Canada for a little over $825, can't beat that..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ahh Zimbu...

you were lured in after all. :thumbup:

I don't think I'll be too far behind you... Over this winter, I think I am going to pull everything off my car, broom my entire setup along with some crap I have collected and spring for an ETT 5152 Triplex. I'm thinking sometime in November I'll be placing my order with Comp. Good times lie ahead.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Justin told me I need a T2 exhaust manifold to make that turbo work. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's a CT2 it's made for a T25 flange, so yes. But that said it's no different than a regular GT2871r. But if you have an elim turbine housing, Comp can machine it to fit any of their CHRA assemblies. So if you wanted to keep your KKK flange setup you could get a grenaded elim and send it in to Comp and get them to make you a custom turbo.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
So all the CT2's are in that same boat then? So find a crappy Elim and send to them, or get an exhaust mani that will let me use a CT2 turbo. Begs the question if any of their series will allow for mounting to stock mani.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, you'd need a turbine housing that mounts to the stock flange and only the elim housings are big enough to allow for it. Alternately, if you could find a blown GT2X that would also work. From what I've seen, the GT2X uses the same size volute as the GTRS, it just has a smaller exhaust turbine opening. But it's all the same anyhow as comp would have to machine it out regardless of whether or not it was a GT2X or GTRS. So that's another option.

That said, by the time you get all the custom work done, it may end up costing the same amount of money as piecing together a used T25 manifold and downpipe.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, I'll repeat what I said on Audizine in that in addition to the compressor, I like the fact that Comp actually put some thought into the design of their turbine sections. It looks like they're lighter than the Garrett stage 3 turbines and more efficient.

It's funny, no one ever comments on turbine designs. But they're really responsible for most of your spool and transient response. A manufacturer can slap a shiny billet compressor on a turbo and people go wild. But in reality, if your turbine isn't up to par, you're still loosing out big time. When I asked Justin why there was little to no info posted on their turbines he replied it's because hardly customers looks at turbine design, they only care about the compressor

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, turbo is in town. Unfortunately DHL drivers don't know how to work a door knob to get into my 4-plex so they marked me as 'unavailable' and sent it back to the depot. If I'm lucky, I can get them to keep it there for pick-up on Mon.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So got my turbo (yay!) found out they sent me a 5558 instead, (booo!) so before I unloead on COmp too much, I'm going to see what they're willing to offer in terms of a quick solution in terms of getting the the turbo I should have been given in the first place (there are also some issues w the compressor, but I'm holding my tongue until I get a definitive response as to what can be done)

So for what it's worth, I'd like to post some detailed technical specs on these turbos, especially on the turbine side since there's absolutely no info on the Z-HF turbine wheels. I'm also posting some info on the compressor as well

Edit: I realize this is technically a 5558, but there should be a number of similarities between the 5558 and 5556, especially on the compressor and possibly the inducer portion of the turbine

So, here it goes

1 - 20 of 43 Posts