Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every freaken business I go to....always seems like they pull shit out of their asses...its pissing me off.

I took the plunge and bought some new rubber for my 17s....so I call the place I bought the wheels and tires from (twice) and ask the guy when I can come in and how much Im looking at. Now this guy is the owner of this tire shop and Ive talked to him million times....so its not one of those new customer things.

Anyways he said to change the 4 tires on my 17s.....I asked for no balancing since my rims are already so banged up they wont be able to do it anyways.

He said 120-150 for all 4 :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was like "whaaaaaaaa?"

He always done it for 10-15 per side....now he is asking for twice as much. So I confront him and ask why so much and he makes up a story how he will have 2 guys working on it and this and that.....I just hung up on his arse. What a fuckin moron.....WOW.

Went to Sears....they did it for $52.

This is just a 1 example....you ever go to the gas station and buy gum (or anything) and go back the next day or week later and its like 50-60 cents more. And the cashier thinks he can get away with it....that shit gets me heated!!!!!

You know....us customers make the businesses go around.....and we are the ones that always end up taking it in the arse.

Most of the time once they get your money.....they can care less also. But before you buy they are willing to help you out with anything.

Im talking smaller places, oobviousely at dept stores etc.....they cant do these things.

Just venting....I really wanted to go to this tire shop and.....ahh nevermind.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just venting.....

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got ripped off. Once on ebay and once at a Mobil gas station. For Mobil 1 I always paid around $45 near my school and at every other Mobil gas station I went to. And then I was running late for my oil change and I had to go to a Mobil station near my parent's house and they charged me over $60. I was like "huh?" cuz my ex bf went to the same one and they charged him around $45. I guess they thought "Hmm. Asian girl probably doesn't know crap about cars let's charge her up." Needless to say, I never went there again...

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MiNeKo012 said:
I got ripped off. Once on ebay and once at a Mobil gas station. For Mobil 1 I always paid around $45 near my school and at every other Mobil gas station I went to. And then I was running late for my oil change and I had to go to a Mobil station near my parent's house and they charged me over $60. I was like "huh?" cuz my ex bf went to the same one and they charged him around $45. I guess they thought "Hmm. Asian girl probably doesn't know crap about cars let's charge her up." Needless to say, I never went there again...
Similar thing happened to me also.

During one winter....2-3 years ago....I didnt feel like changing my own oil...it was cold.

So I took it to one of those quick oil change places where I took my older cars before many times. It was always $14 for the oil change.

I had 4 quarts of oil and the oil filter with me. So I put the stuff on the desk and ask the guy how much it would be. I only had 15 bucks so I figured it wouldnt be much more.

So he says dont worry about it......20 min go by....car is still in......30 min still is....WTF. 3 other cars pulled in and pulled out.

So the guy comes back and says 35 dollars. I was like WHAT!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

So he started talking about the belly pan and it takes time blah blah blah....so I tell him, look I did the oil change on my car before, I know what it takes. There is 5-7 freaken fasteners and you are charging my 3-4 dollars per one to undo them?

I told him I only had 15 bucks....he said to come back with the rest...I told him......sure buddy. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
So the guy comes back and says 35 dollars. I was like WHAT!!!!
man i pay less in canadian currency :crazy:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yep... our belly plates are sooooo hard to deal with :roll:

and I've also noted the "exotic import" upcharge a couple of times... :roll:

If it's not one of the big three then you must be rich riiight....

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I went to change oil on my wife Mazda back last year when we were still in apartment and had no garage.
They said they want extra $5 over the regular price because the car is an import.
I was like... "hmmm... Do you know that this car was assambled in Falt Rock, MI. Oh, and there is the same engine as on some Fords, so you still need an imported filter?"
I paid regular price , but never did business in this place again.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
My most recent battle was with a convenient store. Honestly I catch people crewing with me all the time. This one was kind of funny though. My wife and I smoke the same brand. Parliment Ultra lights. So Everyday for a year or so I walk into the store after work and buy two packs. It comes to $9.02. I know I know.. spare me the bullshit lectures I'm quitting now... Don't get all sanctimonious on me. So Parliment (Benson and Hedges) offers a deal where you buy two you get one free. I say OK! Hook me up! Now mind you the third pack says on the bottom "Not labeled for Individual Sale". So he rings up my order which comes to... $11.56! Now I'm like HUH!?!? WTF?!!? I assmue that they raised their prices so I ask the guy how much for two packs that ARE NOT a part of the deal. He says $9.02. WAWAWAWAHWHWAHW?! At this point I'm aggravated. I said "It is illegal for you to charge for the free pack" He says "We aren't charging you for the free pack we are charging mor ebecause it is a collectors edition hologram box"

WTFH!!? A collectors edition hologram box huh... SO I tell the guy that I'm going to call Beson and Hedges and I'm going to call his distributor. He calls my bluff. At this popint there is a line of about 15 people stacke dup behind me and I start to really throw a fit. I let loose on the guy (he is the owner and sets his own prices NOT an employee). I called him every name in the book and cursed him out some too. Over $3.56 (which is $1 less than the price of one pack)... I know a bit harsh but he was a jerk about it.

So icalled Benson & Hedges, I called the BBB, I called his distributor... the BBB didn't care at all. Benson and Hedges was furious and the distributor said he would persue it with Benson and Hedges. I never went back there.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
One more story:
When I bought my bike last week, it was on sale $119, original price $199.
So I picked it up, went to register, she scanned the bike, and the price was $149 + tax. I am "this bike is on sale", she goes "yes, it was $199, now $149". :mad: I get back to the deparment removed the $119 price from the other bike and showed it to her. She goes " ohh, yes, you are right, we have them on sale this week :oops: " DUH.. :mad:
I can bet that some people bought it for $149....

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
amazing, way to go sears, saved you some serious cash

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I noticed in walgreens they always ring up Entenmenn's backed goods for more then whats written on the box. The box says 2.99 they charge 3.50. this is ALL the time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yep, these places should learn not to mess with a regular customer.

I always get the same pizza from Dominos. I know the price and the way they arrived at the price. (Carry out special). So I call and order the usual pie and the price the guy tells me is $5.70 more than it should be. I politely ask him to check the price again. He says he is right. I explain that they have a carry out special and that the price has been the same for over a year now. He then said to me in a very condescending voice "well I guess I could ring it up wrong". I said fine, do whatever you have to do and got the pizza.
So, being a good customer I call and talk to the manager. Not to complain, but to clarify what I should say when I order to help them ring it up properly. He said there has been no price increase and the special remains the same. The next time I call back, I get a different guy who tries to charge me $6.40 more than it should be. He doesn't want to hear my clear (and correct) explanation, or about my conversation with the manager, so I tell him to forget the pizza. Bastard.

Now Dominos has the computerized order system and it never screws up and always has the right price. Thank you, technology for removing dipshits from my pizza buying experience.

·
Registered
191 Posts
trying to rip you off

ok, from every complaint I've read in this thread, nobody has actually made a case where someone was actively trying to rip you off, and personally screw you because they think you're a dipsh*t customer.

Almost all examples above I think demonstrate how ill-trained most front-desk customer service people are, and how even though we have 'technology' to try and make things clear, it can still cause problems and confusion.

When I worked at ToysRUs as a clerk, I'd get accused all the time of trying to rip people off. (Yea, like I'm personally pocketing that 75cent discrepency and getting rich off it).

Often, it was the customer mis-reading the label, or picking up the wrong thing. 99.9% of the time, when the computer scans the item, it is always correct. The same for coupons- either they are valid or they aren't. And people would try to argue or threaten a manager over it!

And then there's the people who would argue I charged the wrong tax...

Most of the above posts I think are just due to people not knowing what to ring up, or ringing up the wrong thing. Don't take it personally, there's no huge conspiracy to rip you off. Just dumbasses who don't care, or managers who dont pay attention.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Okay then, here's what happened to my wife about 2 weeks ago.

Our homeowners' association has a contract with a landscaping company for the common grounds. This company sent out flyers saying we'd get a 10% discount on services for our individual homes.

My wife called them up and was quoted $500 for a job that has always cost us $150-$250 with another company. She said she'd think about it, but that the price seemed much too high and probably wouldn't call back.

20 minutes later, they called her back and lowered the price to $375. She said no. Both times my wife was dealing only with the company owner.

It's called "rent-seeking behaviour" by economists, but it feels like a rip off. :roll:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Ok then. Notice in my tale I stated that the OWNER of the store was the one I confronted and he defended his tactics. To make you feel all warm and fuzzy I will tell you another tale;

When I live din Philly, right around Thanksgiving my neighbor's (who used to be the drummer for Sister Sledge) second story deck fell off the back of his row home. The whole thing was dry rotted and trashed.

He contracted another neighbor, who was a white middle aged guy, former roofer, to build him a new deck. He worked out a proposal and it stated a couple of things 1) it was going to be built of ALL new materials 2) all the materials would be pressure treated 3) all old deck would be disposed of.

Two weeks later and $4,500 deeper the job was done. Harry was upset and came to ask me to look at the deck. I checked the thing out and found 1) the decking and rails were NOT pressure treated. 2) Half of the roof was reclaimed from the old deck 3) the old deck was still in a heap in his yard. 4) the rafters were miscut and hung from the headers with a 1/2" gap at the bottom edge. 5) the railing was loose and the vertical rails were not nailed AT THE BOTTOM. All told Harry was ripped for about $1500 of the highly overpriced 4'x12' deck. It turns out that the neighbor who built the deck overheard me critiquing it.

The next morning I was wlaking out to my car and the neighbor approached me. He said "What are you the neighborhood deck inspecter?" I said "No but I know construction and the job you did was horrible. You should go address his problems and return his calls because I think he is going to sue you" Heres the punchline. Please note the quotations marks. I would never say somehting like this but HE did.

This guy Charlie (the roofer) says "What do you care if I rip off a f&cking N!gger?!" and then started to advance on me. I got in the car and left. I was appalled. I couldn't believe that someone could be so vile and do that not only to a fellow person but someone who lives four row houses away!? Mind blowing. I think he may have been trying to rip off my friend Harry.. maybe. Or was it his manager?

Heres another one for you. A good friend of mine worked at Applebees. A couple of the waitresses would take receipts that left tips on them (credit cards) and write an extra 1 in front of the tip amount. they would edit the totals too. On her advice I NEVER leave a credit card tip and if I absolutely have to I make sure it can't be altered. She says it is a very prevelent practice. :mad:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Before I was a "seasoned" eBayer...I got scammed out of $800 from some scumbag in NY City. He thought he was really clever, using different internet email addys, giving a payment address of a business, using a fake name, stalling...etc. etc.

Needless to say, I stuck it to him. I did a bank trace of the check and traced it to a business. I called my buddy from law school who is in the F.B.I. and he went there and started "shaking the trees" asking questions, etc.

I emailed the perpetrator and told him it was going to get worse. He panicked and finally agreed to ship me the item (Marantz stereo) that I bought on the auction.

I showed up via UPS and was a lesser model receiver. The box he shipped it in was the same box he originally bought the receiver in from Cambridge Soundworks. I traced the UPS shipping number and got an address. It was this guy's mother's house. My F.B.I. buddy showed up there asking questions.

The dude panicked and called me on his cell phone. I caller ID'ed him. I called the cell phone co., told them I needed to serve court papers and got them to give me the billing address of the phone number....I HAD HIM by the nuts.

In the end, he refunded my money and I kept the cheaper receiver. This sounds harsher than it was because the original auction also included a $500 universal remote which I never got. The guy considered himself lucky he didn't go to jail, I sold the receiver and bought a higher end one with the refund and the proceeds.

This all took about 6 months and even though I wound up with a nice brand new $1400 receiver in the end...it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Ebay is great...but BE CAREFUL and use an escrow service on high dollar items! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I find that in stores that are not retail outlets it is impossible to trust them. They control the prices and markups, and can too easily markup and then mark down something. I deal with a lot of high end A/V equipment and see how easy it is for them to change the price on the spot, without even "checking with the manager".

XedoS69 said:
I get back to the deparment removed the $119 price from the other bike and showed it to her. She goes " ohh, yes, you are right, we have them on sale this week :oops: " DUH.. :mad:
I can bet that some people bought it for $149....
I bet you are right. I am picturing this bike shop as an indpendant small business. Unlike Best Buy, who have nationwide pricing and computers, that owner can put up the price sticker w/o adjusting his computer "by mistake" and waiting for people to notice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
passaturbonium
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing