Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Haven't been on the forums much lately...trying to save some money :)

Anyways, heres the issue....was driving to class this evening and sitting at a stop light the car suddenly runs up in idle and starts running rough and stumbling. Accelerating is very sluggish and the car feels like its laboring. There is a ticking noise coming from the engine at idle. The CEL was also flashing.

I parked the car and let it sit for a while. I had an exam so I couldn't wait around. I came back after a couple hours and it started fine and ran smooth, the CEL was on solidly also. When driving home the same thing happened again right before I reached to my apt. also at a stop light and the CEL started flashing again. I'm thinking (and hoping) its only the O2 sensor. I have the Apex'i turbo timer installed along with the TT DV and I'll check the connections to the sensor tomorrow and make sure its not shorting. When the CEL flashes the timer reads my A/F ratio at 14.8, which is not good.

Anyone got any more ideas of what this can be? I'm supposed to leave for Atlanta on Friday afternoon so if I have to order parts I should do it tomorrow. I just don't want any more surprises.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
take it to get the code read

its the only way to be sure

you dont want to spend your time getting the wrong thing fixed

sounds like mabey the maf ( usuall suspect) or mabey its having trouble getting gas ( witch would be the fuel filter)

it however would be nice to know what type year engine you have

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
if you have B5.5 from 2001.5 to early 2003 model, it could be the coilpack. This is if you haven't replaced to L version yet.

If you have access to vag tool, try to read out the codes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bad, its a 98 1.8T if that helps.

I leant my VAG to a friend last week, need to get it back for sure.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
yeah dont mess with that, id go get it checked :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been getting my coolant light come on on a cold start recently. It would stay on till the car warmed up. My coolant is fine (flushed about 6 months ago) so I knew the sensor has had its day, didn't know it could cause this.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran a Vag on it, came back with a misfiring in cylinder 3. Pulled the plug and it was coated in oil, replaced the coil pack as well. It ran fine for all of 2 minutes. My mechanic told me he needs to run a compression test on it. It also make a ticking noise at idle so I'm thinking that one of the valves lost its seal messed up a piston.

I'll see what happens next. May have to let the girl go now :(. Hopefully this thread helps someone else out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
sounds like its that little thing on top of the air box i think its called the ecm not shure but it happened to me it actually controls the sparks to the coil packs bet thats it :thumbup:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Could it be your ignition control module? You say you have a misfire, and the coilpacks on the 98-00 model years are not known to blow up and die. The packs are the Beru packs IIRC and are build pretty rigidly. Do you have any oil in you coolant tank at all? If there is oil on the plug, it could very well be a blown head gasket, but if thats the case, you would have low compression on 2 cylinders, more then likely right beside each other. Low compression, possible... misfire, more then likely the ignition control module. Oil on the plug? Could very well be a bent valve.

How long has it been since the timing belt was replaced on your rig? Maybe that blew?

More stats though please, how many miles does your '98 AEB have? Turbo been replaced yet or anything?

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Oil on the plug could also be from the valve cover gasket (if it's fresh).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions....replaced the timing belt at 70k, its now at 95k. Valves are something I'm leaning towards. Maybe one lost its seal and it fell into the compression chamber. There isn't any oil in the coolant tank, while the hood was up I had a look in the tank. The turbo has never been replaced.

Ignition control mod is something I haven't looked at as yet. A friend of mine is coming over to run a compression test tonight, I'll see what shows up. He's a mechanic so he should give me a better idea than just me wondering.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oil on the plug could also be from the valve cover gasket (if it's fresh).

Yeah the oil looks pretty fresh. I guess we'll see when they run the tests.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts