Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to cook.... A LOT!!
And one of the most important things to have in a kitchen is the top quality, very sharp and ergonomically correct knife! After litterally years of searching, I can honestly say I have found the perfect, all around kitchen knife:
The Henckel's 5 Star Santoku

If you like to cook or know someone that does, I can't reccomend this thing enough!
MSRP is around $100, but you can find them online for around $75.

I know this may cut into you mod-money :D but this thing is just THAT good.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have a set of the **** from Henckel. They are great, and not that expensive.

I do love this ceramic chef's knife from Kyocera. I think the veggies would be so scared, they would cut themselves.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On the Henkels that I have owned I have found the steel to be really hard. They keep an edge for a long time but are hard to sharpen. I use a simple cerarmic sharpener that has two offset rods shaped in a V.
I prefer my Grohmann french chef knife. Partly as it is from Canada
www.grohmannknives.com

·
Registered
571 Posts
I love my Shun and they look cool. I tried the Global but they were too light.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grinder said:
They keep an edge for a long time but are hard to sharpen.
The key is to never let them get dull. I'm a big fan of proper steeling and do it once or twice a week. Four years on this Santoku and it is still extremely sharp. Have never had it sharpened or done anything to it other than using the steel.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew said:
I do love this ceramic chef's knife from Kyocera.
They are nice and light and also very sharp, but impossible to sharpen at home and if you EVER drop it, it will shatter. :nervous:
They need to engeneer a little more into the materials used before they will make a good every-day kitchen knife.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Another good brand is Wusthof -- that's what most of my knives are. I had a Kyocera ceramic knife once -- it was great until I dropped it on the floor and the blade broke in half. That would never happen with a steel knife.

I'm curious -- what are the advantages of the Santoku blade shape? Do you use it for the same tasks as a chef's knife? I probably do 90% of my knife work with my 10" chef's blade and have always found it pretty versatile. The other two I use for special purposes are a 3.5" paring and 5" boning.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
invariant said:
I'm curious -- what are the advantages of the Santoku blade shape? Do you use it for the same tasks as a chef's knife? I probably do 90% of my knife work with my 10" chef's blade and have always found it pretty versatile. The other two I use for special purposes are a 3.5" paring and 5" boning.
I use a shorty for boning and stuff too. What I like about the Santoku is that the blade is relatively thin and uniform top to bottom, front to back. Also the fact that it is tall at the tip makes fast chopping a lot easier and safer because it's easy to guide the blade and keep you fingers out of harms way. It is also better balanced than my 10" Chef's knife. You can use it in a swinging wrist chop like a cleaver over the length of the blade or use the close end (near grip) for very precise work.
The combination of the curved blade with the shape of the handle makes it fit so well in your hand. It's perfect for dicing because with the right wrist motion you can basically roll the blade front to back rather than cutting or copping.
But again the two main likes (for me) is the tall tip and the thin consistent blade.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Here's the current favorite in my arsenal: Wusthof Santoku

Would love the ceramic shown above, but I'm afraid they would end up too chipped and cracked in my house.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts

This is a little secret I am going to let you in on. These are the best knives in the world. I prsonally seen demonstration of them (this must have been only by invitation because I stumbled up on it being shown on TV at 3:15 AM) and the knives were amazing. The guy cut all kinds of stuff, like Coke cans, wood, and tomatos. All without needing sharpening. So I was impressed and ordered three sets. Then I was getting tired because I just came from a wild party and had quite few drinks in me so I went to sleep. Due to circumstances I forgot that I ordered the knives and when the postman delivered three sets I got really scared because I thought that I spent some thousands of dollars, but lo and behold. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the charge. All together less that $30.- Now that's what I call a deal!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts