Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i just ordered some Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1's for this winter. iv always run on blizzaks and had nothing but excellent results. we get some pretty crappy winters in minnesota.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
geting ready for winter

ok here is the thing i ran into. i have two sets of rims. the first is 18 inch with the pirelli p zero nero that i dont like and want to change. and the second is 15 inch stock with no thread left on them. i dont want to spend a lot of money on tires. so what should i do? i want to get BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 225/45/18 for more comfort but i dont know how they will be in the winter. getting winter tires for the stock rims will cost me around 400. there is not that much snow in nyc so runing snow tires whole winter will be uncomfortable if there is no snow. i dont know what to do? just dont feel like buying 2 sets and spending over 1000.

what you guys planing to do for the winter?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Currently Michelin X-Ice, on 15" steelies. I had Canadian Tire Nordic Icetrac tires on prior to the X-Ice's/

I'm probably going to go back to the Icetrac after these wear out. They are 1/2 the price and I can't tell any difference between the two unless I'm doing "spirited" driving, which is rare in the winter.

I look for ones that give good deep snow and ice traction, seeing as I live outside Winnipeg aka Winterpeg, where it gets down to -40 more often than I would like, they don't salt the roads (too cold) and don't plow outside the city in the 'burbs.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Our priorities:
  • Foul weather capability (else why bother)
  • Dry road capability (this is the situation most of the winter for us)
  • Noise
  • Cost
How we weight those factors depends on the vehicle, its intended duty, etc.

Best choice after 20+ years of experience in driving winter tires on numerous tires: our Nokian WRs.
  • Not the best on ice, but very good in light to heavy snow.
  • They handle very respectably when the roads are dry (as they are most of the winter, both here in SW MI and there in Detroit).
  • Not quiet, but certainly not as loud as the MXs that you have and quiter than, say the Conti ExtremeContacts.
  • They also don't melt when the weather gets warm: Nokia gives a 50K treadwear warranty on this H-rated tire. I know of no other snowflake-on-the-mountain tire that can make the same boast.
  • They can be a little difficult to find, however.
So, if you don't have a lot of ice, have mostly clear roads, but get snow often (sometimes lots of it), I can't think of a better tire. The added plus is that we often take a trip south in the winter. This tire can handle it.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I'm riding on Vredestein's because that's HOW I DO!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have to buy new winter tyres this year, too. Three weeks ago I bought a Passat Variant W8, model 2005, first reg in July 2004.

Apparrently I'm gonna buy those very cheap but new Phaeton Champion rims via EBay. As winter tyres I choosed the Nokian WR in size 225/40 R18 92V XL (price per piece round about 133 euros). So all together I have to pay round about 950 euros.

That's a lot I think, but for a Passat W8 there are no special offers in the market.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Following 2KT's lead, I'm running the Nokian WR's right now, but as an all-season. I was pleasantly surprised that the price wasn't nearly as high as I feared - less than the Michelin OEM all-seasons. While they've been on only for a month, they are fearless in rain. Frankly, I can't wait for snow - I think these tires are going to be awesome!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Dunlop WinterSport M3's - untested though. Got them from a POTM winner a year or two back and haven't needed them until this year.

a.s.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Currently Michelin X-Ice, on 15" steelies. I had Canadian Tire Nordic Icetrac tires on prior to the X-Ice's/

I'm probably going to go back to the Icetrac after these wear out. They are 1/2 the price and I can't tell any difference between the two unless I'm doing "spirited" driving, which is rare in the winter.

I look for ones that give good deep snow and ice traction, seeing as I live outside Winnipeg aka Winterpeg, where it gets down to -40 more often than I would like, they don't salt the roads (too cold) and don't plow outside the city in the 'burbs.
People from Winterpeg know winter. However, Montrealers aren't too far behind. I've tried many brands and my favourite by far are Nokians. The only winter tire that has me praying for snow so I can go out and play. You have to try them to understand. BTW, for cheapos the Crappy Tire Nordic Icetacs are good.

Nokia Hakkapeliitta 2:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I went with Dunlop M3 Sports. I have a little bit of luxury of working from home if the roads and conditions get THAT bad, however I wanted something that would have decent grip if I was on the road during some bad stuff.

I 'converted' my 15" Adelaides to these, and while only used for one season so far, could not be happier with them. I do not expect them to handle conditions like a Nokian, but for the 3 months or so they're on, wanted a little performance.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
People from Winterpeg know winter. However, Montrealers aren't too far behind. I've tried many brands and my favourite by far are Nokians. The only winter tire that has me praying for snow so I can go out and play. You have to try them to understand. BTW, for cheapos the Crappy Tire Nordic Icetacs are good.
I agree, as I moved from Montreal to Winnipeg 3 years ago (job forced a move). I thought the Nokians were studdable tires, and most cities have bylaws banning them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
205/55R16 versus 195/65R15

Hi everyone.

I own a 2005 Passat TDI Wagon which was sold with the luxury package (205/55R16 alloy wheels). We bought the car new during an end-of-year clearance so we didn't get a choice on the options, but we did drive away with a good deal one of the few remaining TDI wagons in the province. We are looking to buy winter tires with steel rims as we live in an area where they salt the roads white and I don't want to destroy my nice alloy rims.

Everything on the car is stock. Without the luxury package, this car is sold in Canada with 195/65R15 wheels installed. Is there any reason why I can't use 195/65R15 for the winter? If I understand the information I found on sites like TireRack it's better (and cheaper) to run with a narrow tire. Can anyone confirm that 195s are OK? The only thing I can think of being an issue clearance of the brake calipers, but I don't think there is any difference in the brakes with/without the luxury package.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts