Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My intention here is to eventually create a full writeup for installing votex front, sides, and rear on B5.5 Passats, while getting a little help installing my own.

Preface to the writeup, finally got around to taking my votex parts down to a body shop, the guy said he could paint em no problem, but he would have trouble installing them since I am missing a bunch of the mounting hardware (nuts, bolts, brackets, special glue, etc). Figured I'd run over to VW sometime next week and ask if they could supply the missing parts.

But until then, I decided to give it a go myself to see what I was getting into. First some goodies, I've scanned full PDF versions of the front and rear skirt installation instructions, and they make a moderate amount of sense at best.
Front skirt installation guide
Rear skirt installation guide
So I started with the front, it's really not that hard to get it onto the bumper itself.

Start by removing the front grille pieces and license plate holder.

Bring the front skirt into place. It kinda just snaps into place once you've got it aligned properly. Also much easier to do with 2 people.

Now here's where I get stuck. The instructions read "Transfer additional holes on lower support of front skirt then drill" Obviously I've gotta make a few holes here to securely attach this thing, but I have no idea where, and the pictures in the guide aren't very helpful either.
The only holes I found on the skirt itself are 2 holes on the bottom side, but I figured those were for the air deflector (problem #2, see further down). Am I supposed to drill additional holes, and if so where? Underneath? On the sides where it clips on?

Then the instructions continue "Bring air deflector into position on standard front skirt, align on lower edge of standard air inlet ducts. Transfer additional holes of air deflector onto standard front skirt and drill. Secure air deflector with screws and pads to standard front skirt. Then attach plate nuts on air deflector in area of elongated holes."

What?

I was having trouble figuring out just where the air deflector fits and which orientation/direction it should be fitted.

Does it get wedged between the lower lip of the skirt and the original front, or does it attach under the lower lip?

After fitting that, take it all down again, paint it, and put it back with the glue. Simple enough there.

Onto the rear.

The instructions say remove two securing screws in the lower rear corners of the car. It is a T30 torx head.

Once you've got those off, put the rear skirt in place.

Once again, the instructions say "Transfer additional holes on rear skirt onto standard rear skirt and then drill." Once again, what holes, where? The only holes there are for the rear air deflector.

Then once finished, take it all down, paint, remount with glue and screws.

Sides I've been told are easy enough, but I didn't get too far with those, so if anyone has some insight that would be great.

And that's about as far as I got with that project. I'm looking for those with any insight to help with the specifics, or if people with votex kits already installed could snap a few pics of their installation, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
I personally don't have any experience installing body kits onto cars, but a word of advice I would suggest bringing it into a well known body shop that's previously installed body kits before and ask for their advice, or better yet have them install it.

It might cost a little more, but in the long run it'll be well worth it so you don't go drilling into such a rare kit.

Good luck to you! :salute:

·
Registered
669 Posts
About air deflector, you put it right. You also may notice that air deflector will repeat curves of your lower lip... two big holes on it will be same holes what you have on your votex lip. I just did some extra holes to hold better the deflector to lower lip... The votex lip will hold just fine with that 2 bolts and glued to your front bumper. Same thing about your rear, no need to do extra holes.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the 2 bolts that hold the deflector and votex lip together also attach to the car itself in any way? Also what about the other 4 smaller holes on the deflector?

·
Registered
669 Posts
4 small holes of air deflector are for mount it to oem lower lip and you could do some extra at the ends and secure it with extra screws, 2 holes what are the same on air deflector and votex lip dont need to be attached with oem lower lip. As you'll see the air deflector fits exactly between oem lip and votex, that's why you need to secure air deflector to lower lip so the votex will be tight to bumper after you glue it and put those 2 bolts. I tried to put some extra bolts or screws on the votex somehow to attach it to oem lower but its too much space between, you could use some plastic thick washers if you still want to do it, but again in case of hiting something with bumper, votex can come away easier to not broke if you'll have it attached just to air deflector (ask me how i know), so you'll just broke the holes from air deflector what holds the votex, in case you'll attach it with more bolts to oem lip, in this case you could broke your votex lip.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About-time update: getting these bad boys back from the body shop tomorrow!! :D ($1200 cash to paint front skirt, rear skirt and diffuser, and 2 side skirts with 4 side panel cover thingies) Fully confident in being able to mount these things, just one simple question: I was thinking about going with some 3M mounting tape over glue, I have no problems with quick-n-dirty jobs. Anyone have any reasonable objections to this? If so, what glue do you recommend using?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress is good! Since I got all these parts second hand, I'm missing some essential hardware like some specific nuts and bolts, but all the large main pieces have been put on.

One little hiccup: in the picture in the first post there is a bolt on the underside of the rear bumper. Seems that both mine were rusted pretty bad. One I managed to get out, but the last 3 or 4 threads had been stripped clean, so it won't go back in. When trying to remove the bolt on the other side, the head just snapped off. Gonna go to the hardware store to get that bolt-removing bit, but in the meantime, I need a couple replacement bolts, which I cannot find. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Good info, looking forward to the final write up. I may get around to putting mine on someday and will be happy to add my 2 cents

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done! (as seen in my Showroom thread).

I didn't really follow the instructions in the book, at all. Mostly because sourcing the pieces second-hand resulted in me not getting all the specific hardware (nuts, bolts, clips, etc) with it, so I had to find roundabout ways of doing things, such as attaching the front grille inserts with black zip-ties instead of the clips and screws shown in the instructions. I also didn't use any glue, I went with the 3M tape, which seems to be doing its job. In retrospect, I probably should have used more. I'll probably end up taking off the rear bumper and applying more tape, since after fitting it, I realized those torx bolts aren't long enough to fit back in, especially when one is stripped and the other one broke off while trying to remove it.

One tip: attach the diffuser to the rear skirt BEFORE mounting the skirt to the car. :banghead:

Seems like the front and back pieces were real VW parts, as they came primed to paint, and seemed to actually fit well on the car. However, the front kit was clearly designed for the European model due to the space cut out for the front license plate holder. The side skirts looked like some sort of replicas, were made out of fiberglass, and kinda just barely fit over the front driver-side fender caps. You just barely see it in one of the pictures. The weird side pieces that fit over the black trim pieces on the door don't cover up the entire panel, so I went to town with some Mother's Back-to-Black to fix up the completely faded panels.

Overall, unless you can do painting yourself, you're gonna end up dropping a BUNCH of cash on getting them professionally painted, more if you have the shop mount them as well. But they are actually pretty easy to mount, much easier with 2 people I would guess, I did it alone. But I think for what it is, it came out looking decently nice and I'm happy with the result. In the long run, I'll probably end up scraping up the bottom of the front pretty bad, but hopefully they won't pop right off after hitting some massive bump in the road.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I guess I got really lucky when I had the VW bodyshop paint and install them for $ 600. :p A little different than you, no rear diffusor piece and ABT front spoiler.

·
Superman W8 Saves The Day!
607 Posts
It looks really good. I have a kit to install soon too, although I'm not going to do it myself. One thing though, how come no one ever paints the sides on the doors?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks really good. I have a kit to install soon too, although I'm not going to do it myself. One thing though, how come no one ever paints the sides on the doors?
Sure, for an extra $300-400 maybe.... Pretty sure I've read stories about body shops that won't even touch the sides, but it can be and definately has been done. Personally, I've kinda been playing on the gold and black theme, so I preferred a $10 bottle of Mother's and a nice easy touch up.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update:

Took the bumpers off and took off what little double sided tape I put on, and glued the things on like I should have done in the first place.

Long story:
Found that after about a week of rain, these things were really sagging off the body without anything holding them on there other than the fact that they form fit and "clip on" to the body and the quickly failing double sided tape. One bad bump in the road and I'm thinking either the front or back would have popped off and that woulda been the end of that. Saw that ECS was selling some body adhesion glue, so picked that up, along with a sausage-pack glue applicator gun (for about $100 total, ouch), and set about to gluing them back on. Once mounted, I just used tennis balls and blue painters tape to hold the pieces against the body while drying. Next day result: I'm finding that the glue is a VERY solid hold and it also form fits much nicer to the body. Overall very happy with the result, reaffirming the life long adage: you get what you pay for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts