Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my B5 turning 4 years old in a few days, the new-car-itch needs scratchin', I'm afraid. With a Pilot already in the works, my need for cargo capacity and adult-friendly rear-seat accommodations has diminished, so a red A4 Avant Quattro with the 1.8t & 6-speed stick has captured my attention. I have a feeling this is the beginning of the end for the Passat...

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
they're beauty of cars but definitely not bahn stormers with their power to weight ration. but i'd go for one!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Medrosje said:
they're beauty of cars but definitely not bahn stormers with their power to weight ration. but i'd go for one!
Mabey the N/A ones yes, but the new Turbocharged 2.5L boxer that makes 250hp and 250lb/tq, and the new platform is actually going to drop weight.

3200lbs with awd and 5 speed manual, which is approx 200lbs less then the current model.

Initial estimates say the car will run a 5.5 0-60, and 13.9 to 14.1 1/4 mile.

All for a price of about $28,000 to start.

I can tell you, this car will deffinatly be somthing I consider.

-Nick

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
Medrosje said:
Mabey the N/A ones yes, but the new Turbocharged 2.5L boxer that makes 250hp and 250lb/tq, and the new platform is actually going to drop weight.

3200lbs with awd and 5 speed manual, which is approx 200lbs less then the current model.

Initial estimates say the car will run a 5.5 0-60, and 13.9 to 14.1 1/4 mile.

All for a price of about $28,000 to start.

I can tell you, this car will deffinatly be somthing I consider.

-Nick
ok, but i was referring to the approx. 3500+ lb A4 Avant.

·
Registered
311 Posts
JazzMat said:
With my B5 turning 4 years old in a few days, the new-car-itch needs scratchin', I'm afraid. With a Pilot already in the works, my need for cargo capacity and adult-friendly rear-seat accommodations has diminished, so a red A4 Avant Quattro with the 1.8t & 6-speed stick has captured my attention. I have a feeling this is the beginning of the end for the Passat...
Would that mean you are interested in selling your B5... If so, run down the list of mods.. and asking prive...

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Macabre said:
Don't forget to glance at the updated Legacy GT that's right around the corner...
The new Legacy is the first Subaru I'll give serious consideration to, but I am an admitted style-slut, and the new GT, while a huge improvement over previous versions, still doesn't push my buttons the way the A4 does. I'm a sucker for quality interiors, and in the A4 everything is just right. The Legacy (at least in pictures) comes off as a pale attempt (albeit less pale than in the past) to copy the high-quality interior environments of Audi/VW. And the legacy exterior, while toned down from past generations, still strikes me as too busy, while the A4 has an elegant simplicity of line and surface treatment.

Certainly, performance-wise, the new Legacy GT will outclass the 1.8t A4, but the A4 isn't speaking to my rational side. If my rational side made my car-purchasing decisions, I wouldn't choose German cars.

Having said all that, there are a few cars that will draw my attention: The A4, the Legacy, the new Volvo V50 -- and given my track record of taking at least a year or two of torturing myself before settling on a new car -- maybe even a 2006 Passat. :wink:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
JazzMat said:
The Legacy (at least in pictures) comes off as a pale attempt (albeit less pale than in the past) to copy the high-quality interior environments of Audi/VW. And the legacy exterior, while toned down from past generations, still strikes me as too busy, while the A4 has an elegant simplicity of line and surface treatment.

I sat in the new Legacy at the auto show. I think the new interior is leaps and bounds ahead of the previouse. Deffinatly check it out in person. I think it looks cleaner then the A4 interior, but thats my opponion.

Ill try to find a better picture of the sccobie.

-Nick

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
that's about as close as you can get to replicating another manufacturer's interior design. but then again, subaru needs it. i find their interiors seriously lacking for what their cars cost.

but then again, that's coming from the driver of a ford focus svt...so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Oh thank goodness he dropped the silly idea of the MB slushomatic. :p

The Saab 9-5 wagon is pretty sexy IMHO. Starting at $32k w/ some crazy financing deals, it should be easier to get to than an A4 quattro. Its does have the Saab love-or-hate ergonomics though...which I personally hate.

Or, the new hotly debated 9-2X should be an absolute blast. Saab quality interior, Saab quality service, with Subaru ergonomics, and Subaru reliability. :)

Or how about a V70R? :eek:h: :weirdo:

Okay. One last one to throw out there. IS300 Sportcross. Another love-or-hate styled car, but that inline-6 is positively awesome. RWD probably isn't the best idea in Deeeefrrosstttville though. :p

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stealthx32 said:
Oh thank goodness he dropped the silly idea of the MB slushomatic. :p
Yeah, well, aa told me it would signal my status as a "rich, old, fat guy." I may be old, but I'll be damned if my car is going to label me as "fat." :wink: Seriously, if the 2002 E320 4matic I drove a couple of weeks ago could tow the boat, we wouldn't be buying a Pilot.

The Saab 9-5 wagon is pretty sexy IMHO. Starting at $32k w/ some crazy financing deals, it should be easier to get to than an A4 quattro. Its does have the Saab love-or-hate ergonomics though...which I personally hate.
I gave serious consideration to the 9-5 wagon before I bought my Passat. I liked the Passat better way back then, regardless of price, and nothing has changed in the ensuing four years. No freakin' way would I own a 9-5. It's ancient.

Or, the new hotly debated 9-2X should be an absolute blast. Saab quality interior, Saab quality service, with Subaru ergonomics, and Subaru reliability. :)
You mean Subaru-quality interior. It's pretty much identical to the WRX, and is the main reason I'd never consider it. If Saab had upgraded the interior in any substantive way, it would be on my short list. I think the exterior is a major upgrade over the WRX, but the interior remains too cheap looking, IMHO.

Or how about a V70R? :eek:h: :weirdo:
The V70 is way too big. The purchase of the Pilot means I get to downsize my car; something I want to do. I'm not looking at the A4 Avant & V50 because I want to save a few bucks; I'm looking for a slightly smaller, more flingable sport-wagon than the Passat.

Okay. One last one to throw out there. IS300 Sportcross. Another love-or-hate styled car, but that inline-6 is positively awesome. RWD probably isn't the best idea in Deeeefrrosstttville though. :p
I can't stand the interior of the IS300. It's a shame, because I love everything else about the car.

If I was in the market for a sedan or coupe, there would be a slew of choices. But I'm a sucker for small European wagons (even with a Pilot in the family). And that means an Audi, BMW, or Volvo (the C-class is just too unreliable). I should mention I'm considering a 3-series, too, but I'm not sure I want people to assume about me what they surely would if I bought one.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Hahahahahah! You are making me grin, Jamie! Did I really say fat?

I think the A4 Avant is a great choice. If it had been bigger, I would have chosen it over the Passat. But its size makes it perfect for what you want out of it. Just big enough to be functional, and just small enough to be fun. :)

I had a V70XC for a week 2 years ago as a rental. It was posh and very lux, but not my idea of a car that I would want to get into every morning. I really didn't care for it. I truly like the blend of nice and utilitarian that VW has going on. The Audi is pushed more to the lux side, but does not completely lose the "I have a purpose" feel.

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
atomicalex said:
Hahahahahah! You are making me grin, Jamie! Did I really say fat?
I stand corrected. The actual quote was, "Are you ready to go from Metrosexual to rich old white guy?" I guess "fat" is part of my preconception of MB E-class owners. :wink:

I think the A4 Avant is a great choice. If it had been bigger, I would have chosen it over the Passat. But its size makes it perfect for what you want out of it. Just big enough to be functional, and just small enough to be fun. :)
Exactly. And while the extra performance of the Legacy GT would be welcome, middle-aged old-farts like me require fewer thrills for the same level of fun. :)

I had a V70XC for a week 2 years ago as a rental. It was posh and very lux, but not my idea of a car that I would want to get into every morning. I really didn't care for it.
I completely agree. In fact, all of Volvo's current offerings leave me cold, but the new S40/V50 models look like real competition for the A4 and I'm going to give the V50 a looooong look.

I truly like the blend of nice and utilitarian that VW has going on.
It's exactly that blend of straightforward purposefulness and quiet elegance that sold me on the Variant four years ago.

The Audi is pushed more to the lux side, but does not completely lose the "I have a purpose" feel.
See? She gets it! :D And the smaller size imparts a sportier feel to the Avant, compared to the Variant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
JazzMat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing