Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since a member was questioning the authenticity of some branded hid kits out on fleabay. I decided to post some pics to see if you can spot out the real macoys or fakes. lol!:lol:

:lol:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
so which ones is it? im actually planning to buy a Phillips H7 HID kit from hidconcept.com and I think he sells authentic stuff. Any input?

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the only real one is the velocitygetter one.
philips do not make the LVQ 212 or LVQ 212-L300.
you can call up philips to confirm.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
really?

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is what im planning to buy:

http://www.hidconcept.com/Kits-PhilipHella-4300K.html

Looks legit to me
I would ask the seller a few question like how come the ballast uses normal male spade terminals instead of the D2 series connector?
Ask if the AMP connectors are real AMP connectors?
The D2 series bulb on the right is a genuine bulb but why philips use cheap silicone wires and heat shrink tubing over the base? Does the red and black silicone wire have any UL desigination or classification?
How come the ballast does not mark place of manufacture?

But hey I'm a noobie when it comes to HIDs and it is your money and choice on what to buy.:wrench:

I say buy it, install it and give us feedback on it.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I would ask the seller a few question like how come the ballast uses normal male spade terminals instead of the D2 series connector?
Ask if the AMP connectors are real AMP connectors?
The D2 series bulb on the right is a genuine bulb but why philips use cheap silicone wires and heat shrink tubing over the base? Does the red and black silicone wire have any UL desigination or classification?
How come the ballast does not mark place of manufacture?

But hey I'm a noobie when it comes to HIDs and it is your money and choice on what to buy.:wrench:

I say buy it, install it and give us feedback on it.
Thanks for your input. Honestly Im still learning from all this, at one point you were selling McCulloch HID's right? How do thos compare to these ones im looking at? Appreciate your input

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input. Honestly Im still learning from all this, at one point you were selling McCulloch HID's right? How do thos compare to these ones im looking at? Appreciate your input

I'm still selling McCulloch hid kits.

Just because I sell McCulloch I don't want to force you to buy it.

The McCulloch I sell is manufactured with UL classified silicone wires and authentic AMP connectors. I have sold several kits to many members and they are really satisfied with them.

I can't really give you justified opinion as I never tested those before.

Is the interior of the ballast fully encased in silicone or the cover has a o-ring seal and the components are exposed?

I checked out the site and I found it strange that there is many different color ceramic probes for the same color temperature.
If it was a big company like philips they would use a standard color for a specified color temp and not a bunch of different colors like white and blue for 6000K.

McCulloch uses brown for 4300-5300, white for 6000-8000 as it is not labelled on the bulb itself.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Here are the answers to the questions:

I understand that you have many questions about design of the kit, but the kit is designed to be used with non-oem HID bulbs.
1. D2 series connector cannot be connected to 2 wired-version of HID bulbs.
2. We do not use AMP connector, but only KET type connectors.
3. Why using 2 wires with shrink tubing?
That is how we receive the parts.
4. Philips does not manufacture any aftermarket HID bulbs from their factory but our contracted factory actually does the job based on the PHILIPS bulbs.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are the answers to the questions:

I understand that you have many questions about design of the kit, but the kit is designed to be used with non-oem HID bulbs.
1. D2 series connector cannot be connected to 2 wired-version of HID bulbs.
2. We do not use AMP connector, but only KET type connectors.
3. Why using 2 wires with shrink tubing?
That is how we receive the parts.
4. Philips does not manufacture any aftermarket HID bulbs from their factory but our contracted factory actually does the job based on the PHILIPS bulbs.
Interesting how they market the aftermarket bulbs as philips when philips does not make them. :wrench:

"Both ballasts and bulbs are made by Philips. However the bulb is still made by philips and we gaurantee it is still genuine philips product."

·
Registered
22 Posts

"Both ballasts and bulbs are made by Philips. However the bulb is still made by philips and we gaurantee it is still genuine philips product."
Hmmm "seems like Freud was right"
:hmmm:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts