Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Should be early. The last 6 numbers is build number. You were the 147421 wagon built of that series. So on or after car 173715 is when they changed parts.

You have to be careful though as I've found. Not every single part will have the same split as parts were changed in production as they need arose.

Your 2002 is an early vin B5.5 btw. (Not to confuse early vin as B5 and later vin B5.5, each has splits in the production run)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
:bowdown: Thank you for this information. My wife is a new owner of a 2001 B5.5 2.8L. Of course, guess who gets to work on it, learn how to do so. Me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this, I have only had My B5.5 for a month or 2 now and usually I would be spilling over with knowledge about the car. I bought it sight on scene with no research and I have been recently diagnosed with cancer so things are a LOT SLOWER than my usual.... Seems I lucked out with the B5.5 instead of regular B5. Anyway, thank you again, every little bit counts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hope your doing well Ralph, I do not even own the car yet, still at the shop but I know now I have a B5.5 glx v6 4motion wagon, thanks for this info:thumbup:

Thanks for this, I have only had My B5.5 for a month or 2 now and usually I would be spilling over with knowledge about the car. I bought it sight on scene with no research and I have been recently diagnosed with cancer so things are a LOT SLOWER than my usual.... Seems I lucked out with the B5.5 instead of regular B5. Anyway, thank you again, every little bit counts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Recently came upon another difference between a B5 and a B5.5 TDi.
I lent my brother my B5 and warned him that reverse often blocked out - no problem on my B5.5
Only when I went back to driving the B5 when he gave it back did I realise that the B5 has a detente (you need to press the gearlever down to ease it into reverse) whilst the B5 you just slam it across the gate. Of course, it may be that I have worn out the B5.5 detente by repeated slamming across the gate!
Misterfish

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anything compatible between the 2?
Lots of compatible parts but plenty of differences too. I found another anomaly recently. My RHD B5 had a passenger door latch problem (yet another!) and when I finally forced it open, I ordered a replacement from the UK breakers (note that many parts are differently handed between UK and elsewhere). It duly arrived but the mechanism did not have the slot to receive the tongue from the passenger's lock cylinder. The breaker did not know specifically which car it came from but it was a B5.5, so either that is another difference or there may be cars of lower spec which did not have exterior locks on both sides. Of course it may have come from a Skoda!!
I have pdf versions of both the B5 and B5.5 parts list and always look to see if I can recognise any differences before ordering spares.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sometimes you can come across different abbreviation.
Passat B5 - 3B or 3B2
Passat B5.5 (some call it B5+) - 3BG or 3B3
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
440bro: If this car was silver it would look like mine. It's a B5.5 front and back, but still has the side markers. And the instrumentation/console is pure B5.5 too. Can't be called a 5.25, can it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
From the pics and descriptions (headlights, taillights, chrome on the rub strips), I have a B5.5; BUT I also have the side marker lights on the wheel well like on the B5. What gives?

·
Registered
45 Posts
From the pics and descriptions (headlights, taillights, chrome on the rub strips), I have a B5.5; BUT I also have the side marker lights on the wheel well like on the B5. What gives?
Apparently when VW were changing over the model, because so many parts were common, they used up all their factory stocks - they had more of some parts than others so there was an overlap. The very visible parts were changed first so that the showroom models looked different from the old models

121 - 140 of 142 Posts