Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brake Pedal won't Decompress

I've got a 2003 v6. Manual transmission. 140,000 miles. The rear left caliper was bad and I replaced it (along with pads and rotors). There was a leak. I determined it was the crush washers on the banjo bolt. So, I ordered a new brake line. It just came in today, and I replaced it. However, in the process of bleeding the lines the brake pedal compressed and will not release. I'm assuming either the master cylinder seal broke or the brake booster is bad. Any thoughts? I just can't seem to catch a break with this car!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
is it correct to assume you were bleeding the brakes by pushing down on the pedal while opening thebbleeder valve on the caliper?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
when you manually push the brake piston to "purge" system it travels way farther forward than lets say "normal operation" into areas which given with age and mileage are probably corroded from minute moisture in the system over the years......agree previously with HB ,hit the nail on the head

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I would lean towards master cylinder first.
On further reflection, I remembered the old water intrusion into the booster problem. I would first check under the dash that nothing is interfering with the pedal (dash cover, brake switch). Next you have to pull the MC before getting to the booster, so you can then see which one the problem is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I fell prey to the old lower dash obstructing the brake pedal. Good grief.

I bled the brakes (rear right, rear left, front right, front left). And they are working beautifully- better than before. However, I'm still getting the flashing brake light and the big STOP brake fault service manual light on the dash.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
So, I fell prey to the old lower dash obstructing the brake pedal. Good grief.

I bled the brakes (rear right, rear left, front right, front left). And they are working beautifully- better than before. However, I'm still getting the flashing brake light and the big STOP brake fault service manual light on the dash.

Any thoughts?
When I had this issue, the brake fluid was just low in the reservoir because of a leak in one of the rubber lines. Check the fluid before anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fluid was topped off. I think the sensor in the reservoir is malfunctioning. When I unplugged it the warning light stopped. So, I think it is just a bad sensor. Keeping an eye on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts