Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the Mr. Clean Car Wash? Has anyone tried or heard any reviews about it? I'm curious to see if it would just end up completely cleaning off our car's paint from the metal? Any insights would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
The Greek has it and he seems to like it. The verdict was it works only if your car is slightly dirty since it's a pressure spray clean. Heavier dirt might require the good old elbow grease method.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I actually use it. I don't use the soap, but I do use the filtered water. I have hard water which you know causes hard water stains. So the filter actually helps me. Thats pretty much it.

I give a :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Same hear about the hard water leaving stains. Must be a CA thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
True. I dont use the soap at all. I just use it for the filtered water part and still think its worth it. It truely doesnt leave any waterspots, and my car is black! When I first saw the commercial I thought "Are they kidding me?". Then a buddy of mine had it and told me to come over and try it. I tried it and bought it a week later. Great solution for those "I dont feel like spending 1 hour washing my car" days.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i love it . i hand wash with it and have had no problems so far. but i think the water you use has a lot to do with it . my water is pritty good.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
don_rapheal said:
I actually use it. I don't use the soap, but I do use the filtered water. I have hard water which you know causes hard water stains. So the filter actually helps me. Thats pretty much it.

I may have to swing by and see your car. With my new baby not having any spots on the windows I'd like to keep it that way and I'm seriously looking at going with this. All it really is is a fancy water filter in a hose gun. Sounds like the hot ticket.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
don_rapheal said:

That is the reason most people use it. Rumor is that the soap actually strips wax of your car.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Im one of the few that actually enjoys spending 4 hours to wash their car. I think that your car looks twenty times better when you know your hand has covered the entire vehicle. but that's just me, i mean shit, my job is detailing BMW's and VW's.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Stranded In Daytona said:
Im one of the few that actually enjoys spending 4 hours to wash their car. I think that your car looks twenty times better when you know your hand has covered the entire vehicle. but that's just me, i mean shit, my job is detailing BMW's and VW's.
Umm, you still do have to do that. You can best believe your car will look a billion times better then someone just using the Mr.Clean System.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
AntWrig said:
Umm, you still do have to do that. You can best believe your car will look a billion times better then someone just using the Mr.Clean System.
Ant - You're misunderstanding exactly how youuse the Mr. Clean system. You don't use it instead of hand washing. You use it to soak, then soap, then you wash it by hand like you normally would, then you use it to rinse the car with filtered water to eliminate wter spots. They say you don't have to dry the car but I'd do it anyway.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
quality_sound said:
AntWrig said:
Ant - You're misunderstanding exactly how youuse the Mr. Clean system. You don't use it instead of hand washing. You use it to soak, then soap, then you wash it by hand like you normally would, then you use it to rinse the car with filtered water to eliminate wter spots. They say you don't have to dry the car but I'd do it anyway.

The commercial acts like with thier system you will get a sparkling shine. You and I both know it goes deeper then just a wash.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Very true, but that doesn't make it a bad product or "marketing garbage". Look at the Turtle Wax commercial. It's a great product but wax alone won't give you the results the show in the commercial. Is that more "marketing garbage"?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
what do you guys do, buy a new system at every wash or reuse the filter a couple times?

can someone tell me what kind of filter is in this thing? water softening?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
don_rapheal said:

yeah, that was my theory, take the filter out and see what happens, the filter only gets used when you are using that fine finishing mist.

i was washing the car when i hit the filter with my knee and the whole thing came out but it kept spraying. the filter does squat for you unless you wash your entire car with the fine mist, i say boo to that :mad:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes, it is basically a water softener. It de-ionizes the water, by chemical reaction.

I used it. I like it ok, not extremely impressed by it. The system works the best if you use their soap, but man, it strips wax. I tried it without the soap once, the water didn't sheen off. I then tried it again later with the soap, water really just disappeared afterwards, but the surface then needed wax. So, I ended up waxing it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The consumer reporter on the NBC affliate here in the Washington DC area did a test of it. Her test focused on whether the system sheeted water off the car so that you don't have to dry it. She concluded that it worked. She did not, however, do an assessment of how well the soap cleaned the paint.

By the way, the P&G website claims Mr. Clean doesn't strip wax. Don't know if it's true, but that's what they say.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Have it and don't think its worth it. I bought it thinking it would be good for quick rinsing the car after a wash like most others do but since I use a special nozzle while washing, it means having to change the nozzle to the Mr. Clean thing. I would rather just dry by hand really.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.