Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cherry blossoms.

That’s right the National Cherry Blossom Festival is underway. This day in the nation’s capital started off with a little rain, but now it’s a comfortable 70º with overcast skies. The cherry blossoms are coming out, people are flying kites on the National Mall, people are merry. But they’re also loopy. :weirdo: So loopy it’s now more dangerous to drive on Washington DC’s streets.

Working too hard, I’m in the office this Saturday. Driving in today was a continuing challenge in avoiding lane-wavering SUVs, Xtreme Sports wannabe bicyclers, intersection-clogging tour busses, and law-flouting diplomat drivers. I’m all for people coming to enjoy their national capital city--after all this is America!

But damn, I had 4* near-death experiences driving in today! Would it hurt to please remember there are other people on the road too?! :mad: I try to drive more defensively when tourist season kicks into high gear, especially when driving around the National Mall, but there's only so much I can do. :nervous:

* The SUV that turned right from the middle lane when I was in the right lane,
* The bike rider who careened through the intersection forcing me to slam on my brakes, nearly causing the car behind me to rear-end me,
* The tour bus that stopped in the middle of the 15th Street/Constitution Avenue intersection, making me miss my turn arrow,
* The diplomat who continued going straight in a turn-only lane, nearly causing a lane-changing car further ahead to crash into the dip.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
wow, and that's all inside the beltway, heaven only knows what's going on in the 'burbs, right? I love DC, not many cities are an extreme sport of their own. :thumbup: :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
What DCdave described- along with rotting pavement, photo radar, red-light cameras, and ultra-aggressive parking enforcement- has convinced me to rely solely on Metrobus, Metrorail, and walking to get around when visiting the District of Columbia. The cherry trees are pretty, I'll admit.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You want extreme sport? Just try walking with the streets, like raneek wants to do :wink: , when there are tons of out-of-town drivers not exactly paying attention. The trees are pretty. Remember the public outcry when some beavers were using the trees for chew toys?

·
Registered
428 Posts
DCdave said:
You want extreme sport? Just try walking with the streets, like raneek wants to do :wink: , when there are tons of out-of-town drivers not exactly paying attention. The trees are pretty. Remember the public outcry when some beavers were using the trees for chew toys?
I remember the beaver incident- the so called "cherry tree chompers". :lol:
Here's an old CNN article about it:
http://www.cnn.com/US/9904/11/chomping.cherry.tree/
Oh, when I was walking in the District during my last visit, vehicles with Maryland and Virginia license plates in particular made for some vigorous exercise on my part. :D Especially drivers of Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz SUVs.
But I guess D.C. residents might consider a suburbanite from Rockville or Fairfax as much an out-of-towner as a tourist from, say, Indiana...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts