·
Registered
4,292 Posts
IB It turns out differently then you think :shock:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. We know that the F1 car would rock the NASCAR-mobile, but it's a driver skill comparison. Its probably gonna be closer than most of us think...I was just tryin' to make a stab at NASCAR in general. :p Remember Montoya won the 2000 Indianapolis 500, so oval racing isn't too unknown to him. The kicker is, Gordon has more open wheel experience than JP has closed wheel... Gordon won 35 karting events at 6 yrs old. And what is F1? A big, overpowered go kart. :lol: OTOH, would a kid in a go kart know how to race a 3400 lb sedan? idunno.... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A go-kart doesn't make 3000lbs of downforce allowing it to defy physics and take turns at 180+mph :wink: 8)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Made for TV silliness, like the Tiger-Duval matches, etc. Money talks, eh?

Are they going to drive the F1 car on the F1 course (infield)? That's what they should do. If they just drive the oval, that's going to be a big yawner....

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised they're risking an FW24 for this event. Their FW25 ain't lookin' too hot (though the Monaco race may have proved otherwise...but I never saw the race, so I can't really comment on it).

Here's what Montoya said:
"The experience would be very interesting and driving a big, heavy NASCAR car would certainly be different,” Montoya said. “I don't think Jeff should be concerned that I will take away his job, but I would enjoy driving his Chevrolet and letting him take my BMW Williams F1 car for a drive on Indy's road course."
Indy's road course, I assume, is the infield.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha. I know he won. But I don't know why. It could have been that he was a bitch like Ralf Schumacher was in the Spanish GP, and was screening/cutting off all the faster drivers behind him.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
And they're gonna televise it live?
June 11 is a Wed, but have to check the listings or set my timer....

Gordon's a gifted driver, too, but he may be a little lost with an almost 1:1 power:weight ratio. :weirdo:
(I don't think he ever drove Cart or anything?)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Der Meister said:
And they're gonna televise it live?
June 11 is a Wed, but have to check the listings or set my timer....

Gordon's a gifted driver, too, but he may be a little lost with an almost 1:1 power:weight ratio. :weirdo:
(I don't think he ever drove Cart or anything?)
I dare say the sprint cars the he drove for successfully for many years have a better power:weight than the F1 car!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
curtis13 said:
I dare say the sprint cars the he drove for successfully for many years have a better power:weight than the F1 car!
That's true....

But of course driving an F1 car on the edge is a lot different than throwing out the rear end of a sprint car.

I read an interview with Michael Schumacher where he made that point when asked whether rally drivers are more skilled.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Der Meister said:
curtis13 said:
But of course driving an F1 car on the edge is a lot different than throwing out the rear end of a sprint car.

I read an interview with Michael Schumacher where he made that point when asked whether rally drivers are more skilled.
I also read that, and thought it was interesting. He's probably right. Driving always over the edge is probably easier than trying to drive as close as possible without going over....

Although i wouldn't know either way :p

·
Registered
432 Posts
Holicow said:
Der Meister said:
curtis13 said:

I also read that, and thought it was interesting. He's probably right. Driving always over the edge is probably easier than trying to drive as close as possible without going over....

Although i wouldn't know either way :p

All I know for sure is that these guys are all extremely talented athletes, regardless of their series of choice. My heroes have always been racing drivers (come with the territory growing up in IN).

Compare a racing driver to a stick or ball athlete. Can you imagine a professional driver sitting out because his pinky or his toe hurt? These guys race on a weekly basis with broken bones, bleeding ulcers, torn ligaments.....or amputated legs (the Pinapple is amazing...I have goosebumps right now just thinking about it) and just consider it part of the job!

Anyway, I could go on all day about my heroes....but I won't. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have my VCR set for this today

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
bump.

Luckily I'm working from home today and can watch it live. :)

Looks like Montoya just made it safely around the Indy road course in Gordon's car....

·
Registered
913 Posts
Gordan just ran an incredible run :D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
gordons fastest lap was 1:16.5 and the indy lap record set by barichello was 1:12.7

not bad! after seeing this I got alot of respect for jeff gordon...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts