Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my name is lance this is my first post.

So i have decided to go to the passatworld forum for help because no one else seems to know what they are doing and everyone in here really has a firm grasp on passats.
As most people here know there is a problem with the 2000 passat abs units dont ask me what is wrong with them but most of us know that after they hit about 80,000 miles they go bad.

my question is my unit has shown the typical faults....(yellow asr yellow abs and blinking e-brake, along with the glorious "STOP YOU ARE GOING TO DIE LIGHT") I sent my unit to Auto ecu and they sent it back unfixed....so i sent it to them a second time received the peice back and it was perfect!!!! For about 60 miles :( now both asr and abs light and back on and it makes the wonderful chimming abs fault noise once again.

please if you guys could just give me some extra info on what the problem could be it would really help me out. And just to let everyone know when the cars codes are read it shows a fault code to the front right abs sensor, but the dealer says that there is no problem with it and typically it is the abs unit

thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
It might help more if you can tell us what error codes are popping up.
You just need access to OBD scanner or VAG to read the codes.

My guess is whoever you sent it to just cleared the codes but not solved the problem,hence light back on after 60 miles.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
It might help more if you can tell us what error codes are popping up.
You just need access to OBD scanner or VAG to read the codes.

My guess is whoever you sent it to just cleared the codes but not solved the problem,hence light back on after 60 miles.
I'm no expert on ABS, but is seems like you are not helping.
He said the codes say the front right sensor is bad.
He also said that he sent his unit to Auto ECU - that's the place that rebuilds the things, has nothing to do with clearing codes.

There isn't any way I know of that a stupid dealership can tell you if a sensor is bad or good. Since the fault code says the sensor is bad, the first thing I'd do is replace the sensor. Or maybe swap the sensors from one side to the other (if that can be done - I don't know) and see if the fault follows the sensor. It may even be something as simple as dirt or something down inside, and the mere act of swapping the sensors, or removing the sensor and blowing things out with canned air, may clear it up.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I'm pretty sure the code you get when the ABS module is bad is "18057 P1649 Data Bus Powertrain Missing message from ABS Control Module". Sounds like you have a probelm with a wheel sensor, not the ABS module. The good news is your module is rebuilt better than OEM and it probably would have went soon anyway.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
...when the cars codes are read it shows a fault code to the front right abs sensor, but the dealer says that there is no problem with it and typically it is the abs unit
Now that I've thought about it a bit more, it seems highly likely that the "stealer" was trying to sell you an ABS unit.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i would have to agree with you, they told me that my abs sensor is fine, but knowing them they were probably trying to make a extra 900 bucks off me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i hope it is fixed now, the odd thing is that the second time i got the unit back the codes were cleared for about 3 days. and now that the code is back on only the yellow abs and asr cel's are back but the red blinking e-brake isnt on. wouldnt the car recognize the abs sensor fault within 10 miles of driving if it was the problem??

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you know of a way that i can clean the sensor's without having the dealer respace them again? or was that just a bunch of bull that they fed me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts