Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I'm sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we're Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration."

Am I missing something? Why do they play the tape of this quote over and over and over again?

It is as if the current crop of conservatives really DO think it unpatriotic to disagree with George, or themselves, or William Saffire, or Newt Gingrich.

WTF?

I am reading a book by Jim Wright, a congressman and Speaker of the House from years ago.

I've also been reading about McCarthyism.

To me, they've exchanged "communists," "reds," and "Stalinists" with "liberals," and that's about it.

I dunno, I just don't get it.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Oh man...McCarthyism was a nasty time period...haven't heard that word in a long time. I think I even had a relative that was a lawyer involved in that case (trying to stop his lunatic-ass). Haven't read that book you're talking about, but I HIGHLY doubt it's that bad, as to substituting "reds" for liberalists.......right?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swcrow17 said:
Oh man...McCarthyism was a nasty time period...haven't heard that word in a long time. I think I even had a relative that was a lawyer involved in that case (trying to stop his lunatic-ass). Haven't read that book you're talking about, but I HIGHLY doubt it's that bad, as to substituting "reds" for liberalists.......right?

It was pretty bad, but maybe not the same magnitude-I wasn't there so I really couldn't say.

There are MANY similarities, though.

And people who say the divisions between left and right have never been so deep as they are today are also underestimating that time period way back when.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
True, one can't compare the two directly, because it's like apples and oranges....that time period and it's own issues, with current day. It would be like comparing the increase of metal prices now, with the increase of metal during WWII.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, Hannity does think that George is always right and everyone should rally around him because we are "at war." To not do so MUST mean you are against your country. It's a great campaign plan as I do not think the US has ever changed presidents when we are at war. This must mean, of course, that we should always elect Republicans.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
tdbear said:
.... It's a great campaign plan as I do not think the US has ever changed presidents when we are at war. This must mean, of course, that we should always elect Republicans.
Huh? :confused:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sharky said:
It was pretty bad, but maybe not the same magnitude-I wasn't there so I really couldn't say.

And people who say the divisions between left and right have never been so deep as they are today are also underestimating that time period way back when.

Sharky-

You might look at it by asking, "What did leftists sound like?"

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sharky said:

sorry to have ended the reply early.

I'd argue that the left during the mid 1950's was actually quite conservative, so the difference between left and right wasn't as large as you'd think: go back to the early 60's, when a "liberal Kennedy" was publicly wanting to invade Cuba to get rid of the Communists.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
bvariant said:
sorry to have ended the reply early.

I'd argue that the left during the mid 1950's was actually quite conservative, so the difference between left and right wasn't as large as you'd think: go back to the early 60's, when a "liberal Kennedy" was publicly wanting to invade Cuba to get rid of the Communists.
This gets into the fact that Kennedy was actually more of a conservative than a liberal, there I said it. Kennedy was a very fiscal conservative and not nearly the social liberal that Teddy and Robert are/were.

Back then the democrats were more of the conservatives and the republicans more the social liberals, of course this is because they were beginning to try and court the south which was a very big Democrat area and is now Republican.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Guyute said:
Back then the democrats were more of the conservatives and the republicans more the social liberals, of course this is because they were beginning to try and court the south which was a very big Democrat area and is now Republican.
Um, the Republican Party dropped any notion of social liberalism when the civil rights movement went mainstream and the partys re-aligned north/south. The party of Lincoln became the party of Jim Crow.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I thought our favorite Hillary quote was:

"The great story here for anybody willing to find it, write about it and explain it is this vast right-wing conspiracy that has been conspiring against my husband since the day he announced for president."

:p

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
MakH said:
I thought our favorite Hillary quote was:

"The great story here for anybody willing to find it, write about it and explain it is this vast right-wing conspiracy that has been conspiring against my husband since the day he announced for president."

:p
This might not exactly have been the high point of her political career. To quote CNN from 1998:

"WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, Jan. 27) -- First lady Hillary Rodham Clinton on Tuesday firmly denied allegations that her husband had an affair with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Mrs. Clinton blamed the sex allegations on a "a vast right-wing conspiracy" against President Bill Clinton."

On the other hand, it's probably less damaging than recent legislative attempts to invade the most private parts of people's lives.

The old Republican argument of how "government should stay out of our bedrooms" seems to have been entirely turned on its head by the Schiavo case.

Tom DeLay telling us that several courts predominantly composed of Republican-appointed judges hadn't properly listened to years of appeals, while a hastily convened session of hundreds of politicians knew better? This probably says more about a "right wing conspiracy" than Clinton ever could.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
bvariant said:
Tom DeLay telling us that several courts predominantly composed of Republican-appointed judges hadn't properly listened to years of appeals, while a hastily convened session of hundreds of politicians knew better? This probably says more about a "right wing conspiracy" than Clinton ever could.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Holicow - during the election Sean Hannity kept saying we are "at war" over and over and over again. The inference (?sp) is that we should vote for Bush because he is the "war president" and you can't change presidents in the middle of a war. Since this "war" will likely go on for the next several decades, I am sure the next Republican candidate will stress the need to continue the war on terrorism like Bush. It will be easy for them to paint a Dem as a liberal who won't fight to win this "war."

The American people are too stupid to see past this. Everyone wants to feel safe.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Re-read 1984. It's chilling how many parallels exist between big brother's propaganda and our current administration's policies. :nervous:

Just like religion, war is a tool for control of the populace... how convenient for the ruling class when that war can be labeled a "holy" war.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts