Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Racing my 94 Passat at Texas World Speedway a couple of weeks ago. New Vacuum boosted brakes, new Stop tech rotors, with Hawk pads...car was running fantastic and stopping even better. Here's the car prior to the the race
The car was running fantastic and cornering like it had never before. All the hours of hard work were paying off. Then about an hour into the race, I was going around a high speed corner and I noticed a little "pause" in the acceleration. Suddenly a large puff of smoke blew into the cockpit. I instantly pulled the car off the road and suddenly the front of the car exploded in flames. Things kind of started going in slow motion...turn power off /Check...pull window net off/ Check....remove harness/Check...disconnect cool suit/Check...Disconnect headset/Check......Boom...I was out of the car. What seemed like minutes, probably took seconds. Here's the aftermath:

The car was a total write-off. The fire brigade took so long to get to the car, there was no saving it. We stripped ever useable part off the car, before we sent it to the crusher. Fairwell Passat!

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,587 Posts
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but don't you carry an extinguisher in the car? Do they not allow you to attempt to put it out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but don't you carry an extinguisher in the car? Do they not allow you to attempt to put it out?
Yes, you're required to have a fire suppression system or at minimum a 5 lbs extinguisher mounted in the car. Once out of the car, I reached back in and grabbed the extinguisher. All I was able to do was keep the flames from reaching the fuel tank in the back. The car was also on fire on the underside, along with the engine bay.

The fire brigade got to the car about 8 minutes after I stopped. They rolled out their hose, turned on the pump and.....NOTHING CAME OUT! They signal the second truck and it came up with 20 lbs extinguishers and they went to work, but by then the front of the car was totally engulfed. They used 8 or 9 of the 20 lbs extinguisher to finally put all the flames out!

Once back in the paddock, we could see just how close we were to having the fuel tank explode.....it was a miracle it didn't. Quite an exhilarating experience, I hope to never repeat! :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unbelievable! Glad no one was hurt.

Do you have any idea what caused it?
After looking at the hottest spot of the fire, I believe it was a failure of one of the fuel lines where it goes from the Plastic Tubing to the rubber hoses, right under the MAF. Mostly likely spraying on the hot exhaust manifold and BOOM! That's one of the reasons the cars are required to have an electrical cut-off switch mounted next to the driver....so you can kill the power to the electric fuel pump, in case of fire.

That's the first thing I did, but by then, it was too late!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts