Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Friday night, nothing to do but post here.

When I misspent my youth, there were a number of "incidents" that thinking back I most likely would have "rethought". How about you?

1. The "kidnapping". In the fraternity I was a "member in good standing" of, we had a tradition of kidnapping pledges, driving them at least 50 miles away - and forcing them out of the car. One time the pledges refused to get out. We found a fraternity on the campus of the college we had driven to - and they and we "forced" the pledges out. I think today that action would be a felony. By the way, the "transport" vehicle was an old VW bug.

2. The "swap". One day, just after the "new" Honda small motorcycles came out (they had centrifugal clutches), I traded my stick shift bug for a cycle for the day. When my "bug" was returned, the clutch had mysteriously "disappeared".

3. The "skid". All of us must of had this experience with rear engine rear wheel drive cars. Was driving on I-84 returning from Connecticut to Boston one snowy winter day. I was tired, and falling asleep. The rear wheel of my rear engine rear wheel drive vehicle "dropped" off the left side of the fast lane. The thud of the rear wheel leaving the pavement snapped me fully awake - and of course I "overcorrected" tugging the steering wheel violently to the right. Of course, the rear engine caused the entire vehicle to start acting like a pendilum on a clock. Back and forth the rear of the car lurched. I was sawing desparately on the wheel trying not to "overcorrect" - and each time the rear of the car - would lurch a bit farther the other way. It seemed like maybe 10 minutes of osillations back and forth (probably it was 10 seconds) but eventually I regained control of the car without spinning. Needed an undie change after that.

4. Ice Racing: Every winter you can take your car (any drive combination) onto the ice of Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire and race it (one person at a time) against the clock. Different classes (ex. all wheel drive, no studded tires, front wheel drive, studded and no studded tires, etc). The event I went to was sponsored by the BMW Club of New England. In any event, fortunately I went with a friend and his BMW. He had no idea that when they "plow" a course out on the lake (there is often two or more feet of snow on the ice) that the resulting snow barriers at the side of the ice course - are harder than steel. Fortunately, my friend was the one to discover this - and about $4,000 worth of sheet metal "modifications", exhaust system (tore off the car) and other small "problems" later, he discovered that you really had to know how to drive on ice in order to drive on ice.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Dumb things behind the wheel...

...kept backing up trying to figure out what that horrible scraping noise was. It was a steel cable support and it was scraping the c-pillar of my Dad's car... the first time he ever let me drive by myself.

...crept forward to turn right at the light after I thought the Volvo in front of me had made his turn.

...waited at a left turn light after already blowing the doors off a cop car racing home from school late one night. I had three or four hundred yards on him before I noticed he had decided to pursue (no lights yet). Crested the hill and thought I should go park on one of the streets in the residences to my left. So I stopped and waited. He pulled up and nailed me when the light turned green. If I'd have turned right (right on red ok) then I could have hidden out in the gigantic auto sales park amongst ten thousand new and used rides.

...purchased a car with a salvage title and expected it to be my daily driver.

...let her unzip my... er... this is a family forum :lol:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i tried to leave home to go to college in the middle of a storm, there was about 3 feet of unplowed snow on the road, my jetta(1987 winter beater) got stuck in the middle of the intersectoin right beside a stuck transport...............i should have stayed home.thank god a big mofo dodge ram came and pulled me out :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Give :thumbup: to another heavily modded B5 driver in my town assuming he would acknowledge me back or at least not look at me like I was trying to buttfuck him.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Three stupid, memorable events involving vehicles (in chronological order)....

1) [Age 14] Drove to school and work starting at 14 in Kansas. Dad had a '80 Dasher Diesel. I was backing out of garage late for school. Forgot something--got out and threw it in the back seat. Got distracted by sibling and forgot to close the rear door. Floored it "out" of the garage and nearly broke the door completely OFF as I came to an abrupt halt! :shock:

2) [Age 16] Visiting friends in city I formerly lived in. We were at a party where were were minors doing those things minors shouldn't. I was only one who didn't drink much, so I drove. It was a huge 74 Pontiac Catalina or something like that--2 door boat with a 455 cid engine. Some guy in a camaro (allegedly with a gun) chased us to speeds burying the speedomter. He tries to pass us and force us off the road. At this point the drunk guy in the back seat nearly forcibly removes me from the front seat and we trade drivers while traveling approximately 125 mph! He thought I was driving too "conservative":nervous:

3) [Age 17] Back in the (now repaired) Dasher Diesel playing cat/mouse with another equally power-pitiful Ford Tempo diesel (both 4 speed, rated at about 50 hp). We then trade cars to see if it makes any difference in our driving ability/speed. It had been raining and I drove into water over the road and his car stalled. The water was almost knee high and even came in the floorboards. My dasher behind me also died, but it restarted. His Temp sucked water into the engine and killed it dead. OOPS! :cry:

After I grew up, I've been pretty tame! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Farted

Oh man it stunk up the whole car, i was gagging!!! :puke: Must have been that polish food! But the Polish food was yummy, just alot of spice!

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Used to steal my dad's VW Fox (Brazil) to take the girlfriend home, I was about 16. :roll:

The garage was on top of a ramp. I'd turn the key without cranking, push the car backward with one foot outside the door,
then once on the street I'd let the car roll down hill and engage 2nd gear. Zoom zoom.

One night...

I forgot to turn the key and the steering LOCKED!
We went straight back and rammed into the garage door of the house across the street... at 3AM! :oops:

and those cars were SO beautiful... :nervous:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
DC Metro Folks will feel me on this one..

Finishing a 1/4 mile run on V Street then running from the police on the Baltimore Washington Parkway driving in excess of 155MPH in a race modified 300ZX with no tags.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I was really stupid one day, I decited to ditch school one day and go drive around for a while. I was on some country road and I took a turn and 25 mph when the posted speed limit for that turn was 10mph...$5K later and my B5 was looking normal again. NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR THROUGH A BARBED WIRE FENCE!!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
1. Driving cross-country and pee'd in gatorade bottles instead of wiasting time by stopping.

2. Drove in from mineapolis, MN to Colerane,MN (4hours...normally) in a blizzard. I swear to you I didn't see the road for more than 20 minutes of the trip! :crazy:

3. Watched (Not disney :wink: :wink: ) while driviing cross-country in the middle of the dessert going about 95mph.

Ahh, the stupid sh&t we do...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wanted to play basketball in the driveway but I had to move my car. I jumped in without closing the door and gunned it. Next thing I know the door is sitting in the driveway. Damn tree

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.