Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey crew, long time no see! This actually happened on my way to work a few months ago (I'm almost at 102k) now. Since I got the '98 GLX almost 6 years ago with 55k on it, it's obviously taken a while for me to get there...especially since I only do about 6k a year now!

Just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to many of the members here, especially the ones who helped me out back in my early days (when I didn't know the difference between a V6 and VR6!). The car only sees professional hands once every couple of years thanks to the excellent help and expertise of PassatWorld, nee ClubB5. I really appreciate everyone here!

To date, everything on this car has been routine/preventive maintenance, with the exception of CV boots and an upcoming control arm replacement. Otherwise, it's all just minor stuff and I hope to keep this thing going for another 5+ years!

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Nice.

Don't think I've ever seen the entire car though :poke:

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
18-month-old, non-detailed pic in poor light (from old thread). I need to get some real pics after the next wax. It has settled several more mm since this one was taken right after the suspension replacement.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Thanks for sharing. It's going to take me a LONG time to get to the 100k mile / 160k km mark, since I am currently at 6 years / 37k mi.

·
Registered
599 Posts
speaking of 100k, i received a letter from VW to make an appt to do the 100k check up. what do they check/change or do? is it necessary or can i do most of it myself?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
speaking of 100k, i received a letter from VW to make an appt to do the 100k check up. what do they check/change or do? is it necessary or can i do most of it myself?
How much can be DIYed depends on your time, tools, patience, and expertise.

At 100k miles, I would:
1) replace timing belt, water pump, coolant, thermostat, etc. unless I had already done so at 60k miles or later;
2) replace the ATF, with a full pan-drop if I had not previously done one;
3) change the power steering fluid;
4) the usual periodic stuff, such as air filter, brake fluid, engine oil;
5) replace battery if 5 years old;
6) replace 3.5mm vacuum hoses if OEM;
7) replace PCV / breather valve(s) if original.

·
Registered
599 Posts
1. did about 6K miles ago
2. dont know what ATF is
3. how tough to do?
4. air filter changed 3 months ago, brake fluid, how tough?, engine oil will be done this week along w auto-rx.
5. battery was replaced 3 days ago, duralast.
6. did last summer
7. where are those located?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
ATF= Automatic Transmission fluid (Manuals should get thiers done at 100k)
breather hose is that plastic hose that runs over the front of the engine, connects to both valves covers and to the PCV valve in the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, once you're out of warranty, these "milestones" are sort of arbitrary. I've done everything on that list except PS fluid (first I've heard of needing a change...) over the past year or two. All of my maintenance items are on individual schedules, not neatly grouped together as VW wants to sell them to you ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
ashman78,

Congrats! My 99 Passat V6 hit 100K couple of weeks ago. Its Royal Green as well. The car looks really nice.

ad2005

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Made myself part of this club today. Funny thing is, I had just finished reinstalling my RNS-E(was doing so recoding in the house). I was driving along and it came up to 100k, and the lady from the RNS-E came on as the system had re calibrated its self.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear passat just blow up at 100,001 ;)
Hahaha...but you do enter the dreaded "Volkswagen with over 100k miles?!" category, which makes the car harder to sell :D

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup. To me, successful car ownership means you have to part it out and sell the rest by the pound to a scrap metal yard.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Welcome to the 100k club.. that is- if there's such a thing...

180k here- just did a 60k maint service (oil,air,fluids, lube-hinges/nooks/crannies, re-torqued subframe, retorque door hinges, etc)
Car purrs and runs great!!! Shooting for 200k. Last car was a 92 GTi- 214k and VW gave me 2k for trade in for the Passat :biglaugh:

e

1 - 20 of 21 Posts