Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took my 00 v6 to lithia for a 10$ oil change. and i checked out the receipt an noticed that they used a performance lube 05W30 oil and didnt specify. now i wanna now is this good oil to continue using or should i get something different? TIA!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Castrol Oil Selector produced this -

Category : Automotive
Sub-category : Car, Van, SUV, Truck
Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN
Model : PASSAT
Year : 2000
Engine : 6 Cyl-2.8L AHA/ATQ
Climate : All Temps

Engine Oil
-
Thank you for inquiring about what oil is best for your vehicle. Based on the information you provided, your vehicle requires a special engine oil that can only be purchased at your local dealer. Please visit your local dealer to ensure that your vehicle is serviced properly.
Castrol EDGE with SPT, SAE 5W-40
SEO 5W-40

Not sure what others will have to say, but I agree with vbora01, purely because you have a V6.
My 2.0 sport AZM has had magnatec in it for 3 years with no probs so far tho.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hmm, $10 oil change and used a 5w30. While the car can use 5w30, I wouldn't trust anyone to touch my car for $10. What filter, what oil, and how can they afford to lose money when this thing takes I think 6 quarts? I wouldn't think they had your car's best interest in mind on this $10 oil change. If they didn't list what brand, I wouldn' think it's any type of performance oil. They can say anything, but I'd want to know specifics. Then again, I trust no one with my car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
With the turbo engines you really need to be concerned about oil quality. But the V6 is a lot less hard on oil. You should be fine if you keep your oil change intervals to 3-5K miles. Personally I always use synthetic because I like to go longer between oil changes.

I would be more worried about what kind of POS oil filter the $10 oil change place uses, and how many belly pan fasteners they lose or mess up (assuming you still have a belly pan).

·
Registered
42 Posts
they probably used oil from the 1920's for that price. here in hot and steamy FL, i don't have to worry about 0W or 5W cold weather flow, I go straight to 10W-40 castrol high milage syn blend. it seems to be working just fine. I like the mann oil filter but i've used bosch too on my V6. i change every 3K.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
guys, do a search on oil here in the google search entry. it's been covered about eleventy-seventy million times...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.