Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the b5, the console only allows for a single din radio which is fine, but i was wondering if VW or someone makes the trim peace(black) to get rid of that little slot for storing stuff and allows for a second songle-din sized unit to get installed. i am lookin at getting a flip out screen but it'll just be the monitor so i'll need a deck to play the tunes. does anyone know of such a thing or is this a DIY project?

brent

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You mean like a dual-din conversion like the following?

Before:

After:

In short it was a PITA. But it is doable if you are patient with it. Basically, you can just swap out the frame piece. There are 2 different center consol designs and you would need to cut the current frame out and retrofit the new one in. You will need to make new mounting points for the new frame to screw into. Click here for a previous post I commented about the conversion.

<![CDATA[You mean like a dual-din conversion like the following?

Before:

After:

In short it was a PITA. But it is doable if you are patient with it. Basically, you can just swap out the frame piece. There are 2 different center consol designs and you would need to cut the current frame out and retrofit the new one in. You will need to make new mounting points for the new frame to screw into. Click here for a previous post I commented about the conversion.

[Modified by vw18t, 4:30 PM 8/25/2002]

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: the b5 stereo/climte console (vw18t)

that is exactly what im talkin about... i want to do that.. how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
VW Parts costed about $50 IIRC (Trim piece, new blanks, new internal frame). I have no clue what it costed for the custom parts and the labor unfortunately. I had my audio shop do it for me when I had my system put in. I think it took them at least 3 hours to complete it as they did not want to take off too much of the internal frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts