Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking a trip to Billings MT, and about halfway there the low oil pressure light came on, so I pulled into a gas station that just happened to be there and the engine was sounding like a deisel engine. Ended up towing to a repair shop and they gave me the news yesterday that the engine was shot.!!!!! GREAT, I 've had the car for 2 weeks. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Shouldn't have crapped-out with only 47K miles...

I guess the real question is, how long had it been driven with no oil?

Did the previous owner ever put oil in it? Did he give you the service records?
Oil change is cheap, and probably the single most important thing you can do for a turbocharged engine.

I'm sure you're pissed, and don't need a lecture right now. Sorry about your car.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh- i'm used to lectures, --Military--I bought the B5 from a local used car dealer that friends and co-workers have praised about. The only thing that pisses me off is that I traded in a great looking and running 2001 Expy for a car that only lasted 2 weeks, well, not even 2 weeks. No service records at all. Had full oil in it. Just the low oil pressure. (Sure that's what you meant). I only drove the car about 300-400 feet to the gas station. Now- question. If I am sutck with the car. I have no quarrels with replacing or rebuilding the engine. Just where can you buy parts from?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
If you need to rebuild, we can probably point you to good sources for the wherwithal. However, have you exhausted all the possibilities for getting some kind of reimbursement? If you've only owned the car for two weeks, you should be able to get something

Kenny

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'd agree.
Any reputable seller would help you with the cost of repair.
You've only had it for 2 weeks...

I guess if worse comes to worse, and you have to shell-out, then you're in the right place.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
First, before you go and put your money into it, I know in KS there's a 30 day lemon law. If you've had it for two weeks, my suggestion....let them fix it before you spend your money to do so.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Re: The 1.8T is dead

Ed-d00 said:
I was taking a trip to Billings MT, and about halfway there the low oil pressure light came on, so I pulled into a gas station that just happened to be there and the engine was sounding like a deisel engine. Ended up towing to a repair shop and they gave me the news yesterday that the engine was shot.!!!!! GREAT, I 've had the car for 2 weeks. Any advice?
Did they just tell you that it was "shot"? What is really the problem? :???:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
usually, new car dealers will have a short warranty on it (30 days/1k miles), or something like that for used cars. used car dealers that sell only used cars might have warranties, but it varies widely. definately check on that first.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weel, just back from the used car dealer and the guy in there told us that the "powers to be", weren't in today but he told us that they will help us it's just that he didn't know how far or with what. SO.....now we wait till Tuesday when they get back in and then I will find out more.
D.Pass- I believe in MT they have an implied warranty that means that if they sell you the car that runs and is for driving, they are implying that it is in reliable shape to do just that unless you sign waivers that take the responsibility off the dealer if you buy the car that doens't run

·
Registered
732 Posts
I just can't see a 1.8T engine with 50k on it going from being o.k. to the engine being blown up just like that. I rather doubt that it is the case. Remember that if the cam chain tensioner isn't getting oil then it won't pump up and the cam chain slap will sound exactly like a diesel. Mine did. Until I researched it I thought my engine was gone too. If the compression is good on the engine I'd be thinking about the oil pump having failed or a collapsed/bad oil filter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eric, I was reading other post that mentioned the tensioner being hydralic. I am thinking of calling the shop and asking them if they checked the oil pressure to begin with and not just start it up and hear the topend rattling. Which is all I could hear making noise when I started it while it was on the road. But with the long holiday weekend I won't be able to get ahold of them until tuesday also. Man I write long posts. Sorry.
Ed

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ed, do you happen to know what kind of oil filter was in the car, and was the oil fresh when you bought the car? The top end rattling is almost certainly an oil pressure problem, either a bad pump (or one that came loose in the pan because the bolts weren't tightened properly), clogged intake screen on the pump or a failed filter or even something related to the cam chain tensioner wherein it would fail and so not hold system oil pressure (a case of the tail wagging the dog). You can get poor pressure also from bad main bearings (worn so bad that they don't create enough back pressure for the oil to stay pumped up) but that generally happens over a long period of time. In rare cases if you get antifreeze in the oil it can cause a hot spot on a bearing and the bearing can seize and turn, causing a loss of pressure and generally a need for a rebuild. Again, I doubt your engine is zapped. The main concern, and it sounds like you didn't run it that long, would be the turbo bearing getting starved for oil. Nope. I'm putting my bet on failed pump, or pump intake screen (sludged) or oil filter. If you can, get the car to a competent VW mech. Best of luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've already checked the lemon law here in Montana and it only applies to new cars less than 2 years old and 14000 miles. So far the dealer (used car) have stated they will assist. I am thinking that they keep the car and I will spend the extra money and buy a new one. Damn, in the 150 miles that I drove it, I loved it. Always wanted a VW and now this. Still isn't swaying me away from the B5, but now I'm a lot more knowledgable about the need for documentation of service that has been performed. You guys are great (not sucking you off!!!!) for not razing me.:bow: So, for now I have to wait and see. I am definately calling the repair shop and ask the tech what he has done and to check the compression and ensure it is just the top end rattling--hopefully just the tensioner not pumped up. Overall though, they can keep that car. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.