Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Color me naive, but until yesterday I guess I'd misinterpreted what people were talking about when they said they wanted a BOV because they liked the noise. I came across some sort of de-badged Subaru on the highway. Usual accoutrements; fart-can exhaust, giant spoiler, oversized, red-painted calipers. What struck me was the truck-brake hiss every time he shifted. It was actually louder than the already-loud exhaust.

Seriously? People WANT that? And spend time and money to get it? The car wasn't even fast...

· Registered
8,273 Posts
Color me naive, but until yesterday I guess I'd misinterpreted what people were talking about when they said they wanted a BOV because they liked the noise. I came across some sort of de-badged Subaru on the highway. Usual accoutrements; fart-can exhaust, giant spoiler, oversized, red-painted calipers. What struck me was the truck-brake hiss every time he shifted. It was actually louder than the already-loud exhaust.

Seriously? People WANT that? And spend time and money to get it? The car wasn't even fast...
It is retarded, I don't get it either, but dumbass kids will dumbass kids;)
Scott, you should have quietly followed him to his destination and when he was away from his car, installed one of these... :D

blow off valve duck call - YouTube
That was hilarious :lol:

· Registered
4,426 Posts
Actually, there is a use for BOV's. As you go up in size in turbos, it can get to the point where the diverter valve doesn't cut it anymore. As much as I'm not big on the idea of a BOV I may need to run one with my 60-1. A buddy of mine gave me a nice Turbonetics one, so at least it's free.

What I'm thinking of doing though is making a hybrid setup. I may keep my diverter valve and run the BOV as well. I figure if I crank down the spring on the BOV so as it's just letting out the minimum amount of air necessary in conjunction with the 710N DV, then it'll quiet things down some. Or maybe my 710N DV will do the job. I'll have to wait and see.

· Registered
4,221 Posts
The sounds tend to go with a car. Like the sounds a dogbox makes. Annoying as Hell. Unless you happen to get to DRIVE a car that rates needing one. THEN the sound becomes a happy sound... ;) I'm pretty sure if I had a 500hp turbo Asian car, I'd crave the 'whip-crack' BOV sound.

But I'm also getting spoiled by the 'posh-quiet' Passat. ;)

· Registered
747 Posts
Actually, there is a use for BOV's. As you go up in size in turbos, it can get to the point where the diverter valve doesn't cut it anymore. As much as I'm not big on the idea of a BOV I may need to run one with my 60-1. A buddy of mine gave me a nice Turbonetics one, so at least it's free.

What I'm thinking of doing though is making a hybrid setup. I may keep my diverter valve and run the BOV as well. I figure if I crank down the spring on the BOV so as it's just letting out the minimum amount of air necessary in conjunction with the 710N DV, then it'll quiet things down some. Or maybe my 710N DV will do the job. I'll have to wait and see.
like the forge splitter valve?

· Registered
4,426 Posts
Kind of, I guess. If I was to have bought a BOV I would have just gone with a hybrid type. However since this was a freebie and it's a really nice one, I'm going to see what I can work out with the Turbosmart BOV and 710N. Who knows though, like Troy said, maybe by running a turbo that actually rates a BOV the sound will grow on me. However I like keeping a low profile when I'm stalking prey :evil:

· Registered
747 Posts
ok i gotcha. i like the sound of the blow off valve and i actually have a forge splitter valve installed. its not loud at all but agains many opinions on here i like it! i hope that gets built up soon, because i want to see some pictures and video of it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.