Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the basic parts of my 160k yesterday (new cabin filter, engine air filter, spark plugs) and put in a new set of PFR6Q's, same as I've always used. When I cranked the car afterwards, I immediately noticed that the engine is running smoother. (And this is not the placebo effect; I had noticed it seeming to vibrate more than I expected at idle lately.) It hasn't been running "rough" in the sense of a misfire, just running like it was the engine from some cheap little car.

Looking at the plugs showed mild carbon fouling, but not so much I would have thought it would effect performance. (I've been burning oil at the rate of about 1.25 qt / 5k, maybe that's what is causing it?) Though certainly they were dirtier than I remember my last plug change, which looked like the ideal for a worn plug. (Light tan discoloration, no obvious wear.)

I'm really not enthused about the idea of trying to track down how oil's getting in my mix; sounds like a lot of very expensive guesswork to me. (It's certainly not bad enough to cause blue smoke or anything) I'm thinking I'll check on these plugs in 10k, and if they are crusty, pull them and switch over to the every-10k copper plugs.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About three years ago I did the PCV down under the manifold; it looked fine, but I replaced it anyway since I had it out. The large "puck" looked fine, barely any residue. I did the SJP because the stupid thing broke, but it, too, was clean. I did not remove or replace any of the hard pipes. Really, every part of the system I looked at was pretty clean. That said, there was certainly a clog somewhere, as my plugs were swimming in oil at the time. (As in, I could barely see the plug tips there was so much oil in the wells.) I did the VCG/CCTG (with vbora's help) after swapping the PCV parts. (That's when the plugs got replaced also.)

This round, there were traces of oil in the plug wells, but nothing like last time.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
I just changed the coil pack connectors on 3 coils (4th was done in the last year) and it already made a difference. The new R8 coils and plugs go in today after the VCG is replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts