Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep,
the guy we have to thank for G.W. Bush's presidency has decided to reprise his role in the 2000 presidential election this time around as well! :crazy:

Republicans rejoice!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
PlatzDa said:
Yep,
the guy we have to thank for G.W. Bush's presidency has decided to reprise his role in the 2000 presidential election this time around as well! :crazy:

Republicans rejoice!
Remeber Ross Perot? He took votes away from Bush (41) and helped Clinton.

Where in the definition of democracy does it say that we must be limited to two choices for President?

Personally, we need a guy like Nader running for president. He brings up issues that typical politicians don't address. I'm not saying that I agree with the man, hell, he's pinker than a Mary Kay Cadillac. :lol:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
did anybody actually watch the announcement on Meet the Press? shortly before Ahnold had me cracking up when Tim Russert read a phrase out of Ahnold's book. in return Ahnold stated that he was happy Tim was paying attention and it was really helping out his physique. oh, it was a riot.

regarding Nader, you know, I think that the post above is a very very valid point. you need that guy in the corner bringing up the items that the other candidates are trying to sweep under the cover.

but man was he strong in his statements about impeaching bush if he gets into office. yowsa.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I agree that we need more than two choices, especally when the two choices are already so close together. and I've voted for Nader before.

but there is no denying that Nader sucks more votes from the D side than the R side. :( I was hoping he'd stay out of it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
T minus 5 days before we start hearing conspiracy theories about Nader and Bush.

Early 2001, Bush, Cheney, and Nader, were on a diplomatic mission to the Reptilian-Alien empire of Zarluug. During their visit, they continued their planning of 9/11, as well as......... ............ :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I tend to think that him running THIS time will only mean even MORE pissed-off Dems get out and vote for the nominee, just to ensure Nader does not siphon off too many votes this trip.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sharky said:
I tend to think that him running THIS time will only mean even MORE pissed-off Dems get out and vote for the nominee, just to ensure Nader does not siphon off too many votes this trip.
You may have a point there (personally, I hope you're right, seing as how I really can't handle W)...

I can't say that I'm all that jazzed about our lame-ass 2-party system, and I would love to see a viable candidate from a 3rd party sideswipe the usual hacks, but Nader is such a freakin' closet case, I can't imagine - even in my wildest alcohol-fueled dreams - seeing him in the oval office!

If one looks at the system in Germany, for example, one can see that having a true 3, 4, 5 or even 6 party system can have some advantages - a few more checks and balances, and more compromises (due to the need for coalitions when majorities are too slim). It does help avoid single-party control of executive and legislative branches... However, it's also generally more chaotic!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
nader is a GOOD GUY, but it does throw a monkey wrench into the votes due to it being DESIGNED as a 2party system.

he should be pres. he is the most genuine guy there for the job. but he won't win. so knowing that, he really shouldn't try.

I know, it sounds counter-intuitive. welcome to the US voting system.

(don't blame ME, I voted for kodos!)

;)

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Nader is singlehandedly responsible for the removal of personal responsibility fromour land! How can you, who think people should be able to smoke pot in peace, think he is a good guy??????????????

Don't blame me, I voted for Perot.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
clue me in, what are you talking about? wrt nader

there's a lot I don't know about him - if you know something, stop speaking so vaguely - give details, please.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
atomicalex said:
Nader is singlehandedly responsible for the removal of personal responsibility fromour land! How can you, who think people should be able to smoke pot in peace, think he is a good guy??????????????

Don't blame me, I voted for Perot.
Yeah, I voted for Ross too when he ran against Bush and Clinton. I liked what he was saying and felt that Bush hadn't done anyting to earn my vote and Clinton was just more of the same.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Ralph Nader wrote "Unsafe at Any Speed", a book which pilloried the rear-engined Chevrolet Corvair as a deathtrap, which it was later proven not to be. He spearheaded the effort to install airbags in automobiles because he felt that drivers can not be trusted to make decisions in their own best interests while driving and safe drivers are no substitute for safe cars. He is quoted many times saying that driver training is useless because there will always be untrained drivers out there.

I generally applaud people who work to make life better, but people who take away my right to be skilled and replace it with expensive gadgets that hurt my husband (Steven was injured by the airbags in our 95 Golf) don't win any point with me. Better that that $2K in airbags was spent at driving school teaching avoidance so he would have know where to steer to. But that is not the new American way. We are now Naderized - forced to live as if we are stupid sheep, unable to take care of ourselves. He's a freaking walking warning label!

·
Founder
18,442 Posts
I dont understand...even if you're not a Nader fan, how can you call one of the biggest consumer advocates of our time a jackass? Is it because you support Enron style book-kepping? :D

Even though I'm not the biggest Nader supporter/fan, I have to respect the guy for what he supports. Just sit down and compare what he stands for and what he "preaches" as opposed to your typical Democrat or Republican candidate and I'm sure you'd give him SOME sort of credit.

Just my $0.02.

·
Founder
18,442 Posts
AA, I completely agree with your statement, but I can also see where Nader is coming from with the whole airbags issue. As a teenager, I can honestly say my friends and I were reckless drivers, so airbags were a GOOD thing for us. And airbags actually saved another life of one of my friends when he hit a light-pole at 65mph after losing control in the rain. An injury from the presence of airbags seems much better than losing a life because of no airbags.

Also, think about the other side of his politics, the side of protecting the American consumer and employee from companies like Enron and Worldcomm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
27 Participants
JokerUNM
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing