Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home from Virginia Tech over Thanksgiving break, I decided to get a bunch of projects done I either didn't have time or space to do up at school. The main one of these was recovering the door cards in a black suede like material. I also installed brushed aluminum door pulls, brushed aluminum shifter surround :cough steel wool cough: Ahem, excuse me. Stripped my net optik trim, and tried to get the silver paint job off my center console I foolishy did long ago.

The HVAC net optik piece must have been from a B5.5, because it was slightly too big. I did a bush league hack job on the center console piece for now to get it in, and will dremel it and sand it down over Christmas. Anyways, on with the pics...

And the car it's all in

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
nice mods- like the suede

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
is only the climate control surround net optic? the main dash piece is from a B5.5 but it still fits. i did that mod in my 99 and it went in fine.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Care to do a simple write up, I plan to go two tone grey on black and may do the door cards to tie them in.
it's not that bad really. remove the door panels first. it's been discussed many times and there's a write-up in the information base. on the back side you'll see how the insert is attached. it has plastic tabs that go through the door panel and those are plastic welded on to the door panel. plastic welding is really just melting the two pieces of plastic together. pop the tap apart from the panel and then it's removable. take the insert out, remove the old material, put on the new material and reassemble. you can use a soldering iron to reweld the tabs to the door. put the door panels back on an admire a job well done.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's basically it. Check the DIY sticky in the mkiv forum of Vortex for a good write up with pictures.

Only the HVAC piece is net optik right now because someone was selling it for a steal on here so I jumped on it. In the next couple of days I'm going to buy the brushed aluminum gauge plate from 42dd to help finish off the console area. Eventually I might buy the main surround too if I feel it needs it...

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I have a brushed AL face for the triple gauges if you want, I also have one of those strips that escaped the stuff i sent you just found it today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts