Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comments:

Just changed out the rotors on the Wagon last night. Used ATE original rotors and pads. The rotors were heavily rusted but a few good bangs got them right off.

Total cost of the rotors and pads were 80 bucks. Plus the jack stands, brake kleen and break quiet and caliper retraction tool.. all worked out to a cool hour and 95 bucks. :D

The caliper retraction tool was from AAuto Parts. It is not what we needed. It pushes them in but doesnt spin it clockwise. So my buddy and I used the tool to push and then vise grips to spin it.

Question:

The pistons are gaurded by a rubber seal. It was pretty torn up on the passenger side. Can this be repaired? or would a whole new assembly of the piston need to be installed?

Thanks again guys for all your help. It is great to do these things without dropping it off at a shop.

Stephen.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
So are you certain that the piston boots were chewed up B4 the install... hearing that your friend used a vise-grips on the pist makes me thinks it was the grips that chewed them up... it's really not possible for that to happen during use of the brakes...

That aside, the purpose of those boots are to keep your piston clean and free of the abrasive brake dust and road grime. Without them being whole, the ultimate result will be fluid blow-by on the piston seals... loss of fluid, and if not attended to, no brakes. This is what COULD happen... not saying it will.

It is possible to replace the boot. I'm not sure however if for our rears it means rebuilding the caliper...

... anyone tried to just take it off of OUR brakes?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I admit the vise grips didnt help. We were careful though to touch them as little as possible.. avoiding too much movement and stress.

Before the install niether was whole. The rear passenger boot has a rather large gash. The driver's rear had smaller. About the size of an eraser head.

The fluid in the brake resivor is a titch low. I was planning on bleeding them soon. It has been the same fluid for all 88,000 miles I would safely say. Perhaps after fresh fluid, I could keep a close eye on the brake fluid loss.

Do they need rebuilt? A patch kit perhaps? What are my options?

Stephen.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not good. Would replace them. I dont know of anyone that will rebuild them and to my knowledge that is not a replaceable item. A quick PM to B5Bel would be in order to confirm though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts