Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the more approrpiate place for this post is in mobile electronics, but I've been lurking on this board since the day I bought my 2004.5 1.8 manual 4motion variant 3 months ago. Just an incredible amount of knowledge here that not only has helped me understand my car better, but has, of course, given me the itch to "personalize" my ride. So for that, thanks to you all!

With regards to this install, not everyone has an iPod (nor believes in the Apple hype), so I figured I'd show pics of an easy install I did with my Dell DJ (a superior sounding mp3 player with an 18 hour rechargable battery)

Parts:

Blitzsafe aux adapter from Enfig.com - $70.00
Monster Y-Splitter from Radio Shack - $30.00
Cell phone belt clip I had (you can find them at Radio Shack - Belkin makes a few)
Drill (and a few bits)
1 screw

Process:

*Remove bottom right switch cover from dash
*Drill small hole to fasten belt clip and another larger hole to run audio cable through
*Remove head unit (tried the homemade file hanger trick and it worked perfectly!)
*Plug in Blitzsafe adapter and ground
*Run cords through switch cover, replace head unit (make sure you find a place for all of the extra wires - the first time I pushed, rather, jammed, the head unit back in place, my alarm chirp didn't work because the HU wasn't clipped in all the way)
DONE -- much improved sound vs. running a tape adapter or, god for bid, an fm modulator. I thought about getting a phatbox, but couldn't rationalize spending 400.00 and having another hard drive to manage.

Here is how it turned out:

-one nice thing about running the rca cable through the dash is having the extra cord length if you or the passenger wants to pick up the mp3 player. When you fasten it back on the dash, you can push the excess cable back.

Now, onto the euro switch, suspension, wheels, W8 overhead lighting module, tinted windows, depleted bank account...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
very nice install there :thumbup:
but could you possible locate the holder somehow that the MP3 player will face you a bit?
looking at the picture it makes almost impossible to see what'g going on on the screen from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Checked out their web site...looks like this replaces the CD changer?

How do the controls work? Can you just pick what you want to play on your DJ, or do you have to have then in a playlist?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can make out the screen info if you focus hard... but I definitely need to find a way to tilt the player towards me. That said, I'm usually just listening to an album or playlist that I can change at a red light / stop sign when needed. You can also buy inline remotes for most of these hard drive based mp3 players...

Antoddio - Yes, the blitzsafe tricks the head unit into thinking you are using the cd changer. You can control what you play by artist, album, playlist, shuffle, etc...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Awesome work - love my DJ and totally agree with the apple 'hype' comments - besides the blue backlighting is such a match to the VW lights! Nice job - agree with the angle thing and may try and find a way to do something very similar but with an angle to it.

How does the clip on the back of your DJ work?

How did you mount the other half of the clip onto the dash?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bmann....

The clip works great - secures the DJ to the mount quite well. It does not feel flimsy when pushing the buttons...

I mounted the other half of the clip by drilling a small hole into the switch cover, then just screwed it on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts