Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Ha ha... I saw those yesterday, and was like WTF!??? I'm really curious about them as well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
They sell them at gas stations here in Norway. They're for those people that have the shittiest winter tires, yet have to drive up the last, little hill to their winter cabin :p

...but are they any good? Well.... I'd stick with 4x4 and proper, Nordic winter tyres personally...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
Truckers are starting to use them a lot out west. I was just looking at them the other day. It would help me just to have them in case I come upon some really bad conditions while travelling or commuting. Google snow or tire socks. The physics behind it is pretty simple. more friction equals more traction

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
the description says you still can't go over 30mph though...
Yea I don't think these are meant for having on all the time?

I thought you had to put them on while the wheels were off (well that's what it looked like anyway) but then it says not over 30mph it doesn't make any sense...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
you install them just like a shower cap. I wouldn't drive on them very fast anyways. I think it's because of how they are installed. it's elastic. cetrifugal force would throw them right off.

New 'Sock' For Tires Could Replace Chains

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
There are tons of videos on youtube about them and random people testing them out... definitely works best on FWD cars, as there is much more weight on the front wheels, and more weight exponentially increases the amount of grip you get with these. I think they look awesome and I want a pair after watching all the home vids on youtube.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd say they're probably better than nothing in conditions that would warrant chains, but where chains aren't allowed (I'm looking at you, southern ontario)

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
Okay, I'm digging up an old thread. It's been two years. Any new insight?
Jason from ECS on AZ, explaining why these work:

The material doesn't allow snow to get packed into the tread blocks essentially turning your tire into a slick. Once you have your tires packed full of snow traction is reduced substantially.

Jason
so instead of packing snow in the tread you just cover the entire tread with fabric?? Isnt that almost the same thing?
No because when the tire makes contact with the snow covered road, the snow pushes the material into the tread blocks allowing more grip rather than snow getting packed into the groves. The material simply keeps snow from sticking to the tire.

These work I've seen it in person.

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts