RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the San Antonio Express News:
The Texas Ethics Commission has voted 5-3 that when state
officials get cash as a "gift", they can comply with state law by
simply stating "currency" was received without even saying how much
they got. "What the Ethics Commission has done is legalize bribery,"
sputtered the head of Texas Citizen, a political reform organization.
The decision makes it "perfectly legal to report the gift of 'a
wheelbarrow' without reporting that the wheelbarrow was filled with
cash," said an astonished district attorney in the state. In a previous
ruling, the Commission held that two checks for $100,000 could be
simply described as "checks".

I'm having a hard time believing that what I am assuming are appointed officials think this is something Joe Public would go for, unless this is politics as usual in Texas nowadays???

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Ah. Good ole Texas justice. It would be laughable if it weren't so disturbing. Just goes to show, Perry isn't the only prick at the Capitol.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
http://www.ethics.state.tx.us/tec/commrs.htm
The Texas Ethics Commission has eight Commissioners. Four of the commissioners are appointed by the Governor, two are appointed by the Lieutenant Governor, and two are appointed by the Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives. Members of the Texas Senate and the Texas House of Representatives who represent each political party submit lists of nominees to the appropriate state official for appointment. The Commissioners serve for four-year terms.
Interesting, the list shows one guy whose term expired in 2003 and another that expired in 2005. Not replaced yet? Still voting? "Last Revision: November 28, 2006"

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
According to the online quiz for state legislators at the link above:

"A person registered as a lobbyist may not offer, confer or agree to confer a gift of cash or a negotiable instrument to a member of the legislature."

WTF were they thinking with the "currency" crap above? Was that in reference to elected officials or state employees?

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
That sounds jacked up. I gotta believe there is much more to this than what's posted here. Any real references/links?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the only link I found originally was a column from the SA Express newspaper. I'm not bothering to look for more. generally, newspapers tell it like it is, with a little bias here and there, of course, depending on the bent of the editor. however, if this is exactly what has been reported here, then dayum.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
Gee, I didn't even know they had ethics in Texas so why would they need a commission?

Did we fix Tom Delay's house after the hurricane? I know GW was very worried about it.

·
15,696 Posts
New York isn't exactly a shining beacon of squeeky clean ethics either.
Both Clintons live there.
Actually they live in the same town I grew up in. However, they live on the other side of the tracks from where I lived.:lol:

Our state comptroller thought is was legal to use aides to chauffer his wife around. So far he has repaid the state about $200K. Funny thing is that he was re-elected this past November even though all of this info was public.:crazy:

·
0 Posts
Yeah what the hell was he thinking no other elected official in our government would ever use office resources for personal use!

hahahahah! Dam thats so funny i couldn't even keep a straight Internet face!

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Actually they live in the same town I grew up in. However, they live on the other side of the tracks from where I lived.:lol:

Our state comptroller thought is was legal to use aides to chauffer his wife around. So far he has repaid the state about $200K. Funny thing is that he was re-elected this past November even though all of this info was public.:crazy:
Well thats what happens when the guy that he was running against was incompetent at best and a crook at worst. It was a choice between two demonstrated evils but Hevesi had demonstrated competence at the JOB despite his ethics problems.

Then there is the issue that what he went down for was KNOWN by the ethics commission for 2 years as he approched THEM to make sure he could do it. Follow THAT up with this little gem: The Ethics commision left the preparation of a billing formula to guess who... the COMPTROLLER'S office. Um... so they are upset that Hevesi didn't generate the formula to bill himself for the services that the State SHOULD have been paying for IN PART? Now THAT is direct and blatant ethics violation. It was a lose lose for him and the whole thing was a political contrivance.

·
15,696 Posts
Well, that's what happens when the fox has keys to the hen house.:p

Well thats what happens when the guy that he was running against was incompetent at best and a crook at worst. It was a choice between two demonstrated evils but Hevesi had demonstrated competence at the JOB despite his ethics problems.

Then there is the issue that what he went down for was KNOWN by the ethics commission for 2 years as he approched THEM to make sure he could do it. Follow THAT up with this little gem: The Ethics commision left the preparation of a billing formula to guess who... the COMPTROLLER'S office. Um... so they are upset that Hevesi didn't generate the formula to bill himself for the services that the State SHOULD have been paying for IN PART? Now THAT is direct and blatant ethics violation. It was a lose lose for him and the whole thing was a political contrivance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts