Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove about an hour South East of here to see the wildflowers on April 9th. Found a nice field on the East side of I45, just outside Ennis.
The Bluebonnets are the state flower of Texas and last about a month. Then the Indian Paintbrush (Red/Orange in the pics) starts to come out. After that, the Blanket Flowers. The flowers grow all over this area as well, but with traffic and development, it's not always safe to stop and take pics.

My usually happy face:

The photographer actually appears for once:

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More pics:

A rare white "Bluebonnet". They also come in red (I have never seen one) and Maroon (bred for Texas A+M).

There were several families enjoying the day.

Turkey Vulture watching for road kill (or careless pedestrians).

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back on the road, more interesting things:

Faded US police flag and Texas flag painted on board:

Winecup:

Primrose in White and Pink:

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it is great in April and May. Then it stops raining and the flowers die out. Still pretty as we get enough rain most years to keep everything else green.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks very nice.

In the fall (October) I drive into Mexico for the winter and in the spring (April) return to go home. Sometimes I go to visit friends in Wichita, Ks on the way so I could do that next year in April.

Could you post some more detailed road instructions going north from I-35. I'm always looking for some way to make my 2,000 mile drive more interesting.

I've done the Natchez Trace, Blue Mountain Pkwy, the Great River Road in Wisconsin. Detoured via New Orleans.

Basically I drive from Laredo,Tx to Detroit, Mi.

Thx

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thank you PZ, I have looked these links and saved them in my travel folder. In the Highland Lakes link they mention that the bluebonnets like dry soil. Maybe on my way south I can pick up some seeds and take them to Mexico and plant them there. I have lots of dry soil and tons of sunshine where I spend the winter.
If I want to stray of the interstates and dawdle I'll just allow extra time for my trip home.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Waxahatchie if you take 35E. They have a bluebonnet trail there. Plus an awesome rennasaince festival in the spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts