Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone installed a Test-pipe on thier 1.8T and found excess carbon build up on the back deck or tail section of thier car?
I figure when removing the Cat. the unburned carbon has to go somewhere!
Even with the cat you can see some carbon build up on the exhaust tip>

·
Banned
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the turbo burns off alot of the hyrdo-carbons because it gets hot enough. Does anyone have a Pic they can post of what this looks like or how bad the build-up.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
You have soot buildup on the tailpipe of a car with no catalytic converter? Shocking! :banghead:

If you think the tailpipe buildup is bad, just think about what an incredibly small percentage of the TOTAL soot that buildup represents. (after all, the vast majority of the soot just keeps going right out the end of the tailpipe.)

Put your catcon back on your car, and stop fucking up my air.

·
Banned
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its A Free Country! I like it smoggy in the morning..... Oh yeah, and thanks for the HELP. ===>DICK
The buildup "if you can read." Is on the back Trunklid and rear section of the car. I am looking for pics that show this to compare. And D, Remember, My exhaust pipe is waiting for your lips.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
Its A Free Country! I like it smoggy in the morning..... Oh yeah, and thanks for the HELP. ===>DICK
Bravo!

Not sure what other mods you have, but if you have that much sht on the back of the car, I'd say you're running rich. If you have access to a vagcom, get a look at your fuel trims in MB 032.

Believe it or not, the hydrocarbon difference in the exhaust on a well tuned car with cat vs no cat can still be within emission limits. The only emission that wouldn't pass an Ohio tailpipe test is the NO levels. Hydrocarbons and CO can be kept within emission limits.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i have a test pipe, no carbon build up on rear of car at all, i do see it inside the tailpipe. are you running platinum plugs? if so switch to copper, burns hotter.

*my tail pipe extends about 2" after bumper.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The buildup "if you can read." Is on the back Trunklid and rear section of the car. I am looking for pics that show this to compare. And D, Remember, My exhaust pipe is waiting for your lips.
The soot is nonetheless COMING from your engine, regardless of where it happens to deposit itself.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You will see this - If doing a lot of highway driving and the car is moist or wet - the soot sticks. Its a common fact. Just like a lot of dirt will be on the back of your car if you drive down a dirt road.

Wash and Wax and its not an issue. How often do you plan on washing the car? How many miles do you drive a week?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts