Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
290hp AWD Monster. There is nothing below 3k RPM, but after that.......WOW!! When boost kicks in, all you hear is whoosh and your head snaps back, its almost scary.
On top of that this car can be purchased from the dealer with a full factory warrantee!! It has an aftermarket exhaust, intake, boost gauge, instrument cluster, downpipe, piggyback ecu. Now if they could only give me the luxury of an Audi

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (BFive)

I'm not sure I could drive a car with such a defined turbo lag. Sure it's great if you're drag racing or whatnot, but having to consciously stay above 3k rpm for power is just a pain in the ass. I shift enough in my 1.8T, and I lust for a VR6 for it's ridiculous torque curve. For those reasons, I don't think the ridiculous lag below 3k is gonna work for me. I guess it's a driving style thing, since I like to shift early. If you want interior amenities + high horsepower, you're gonna have to look Audi RS6. Which I hear has been dethroned as the fastest 4 door sedan by the supercharged E55 AMG.
If you're looking for something midway though, look for the new Mazda 6. They've made a concept vehicle called the Mazda 6 MPS, a turbocharged 2.3L 4-cyl making 280 hp and 265 ft. lbs in torque. Coupled with an AWD system and rear LSD, it's supposed to be faster than the upcoming RX-8.
The Japanese have had some craaaaazy cars comin' out!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (stealthx32)

I agree, I lust for the 24V VR6 as well. The sound with a milltech exhaust is killer

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (stealthx32)

If the MPS does end up being built (unlikely), it'll be very expensive, so not really in the same class.

The WRX isn't really that bad. It's not like they're slugs below 3k, they just don't take off. I'm not sure how often that really matters, since if you're at low RPMs you're probably driving leisurely anyways. Maybe my driving style is different from yours, but when I'm in a spirited mood I don't lug it down around idle speed.
It's a fair compromise, I think, since they pull very well to the 7krpm redline (whereas a 1.8T is pretty flat by 5.5k). Trade 1.5k at the top for 1.5k at the bottom. Go drive one, I think you'll see my point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (Macabre)

For CT dubbers, Schaller Subaru of New Britain has brand new stage I and II WRX's ready for test drives. Yes the interior has no WOW factor, but I still can't get over that wicked kick when the turbo kicks in. Time seems to stop for the few seconds from 3k to 7k. This stage II WRX is fast!
There is actually stage III and IV (385hp) if you need more. From what I heard from a performance Subaru tuning shop, the engines can take a wicked beating if tuned correctly. I've driven the 2003 Z06 on multiple occasions (friends), and this WRX stage II is close to Z06 performance if driven correctly. You can pick up a 2002 WRX for 22k and spend 2k for the stage II kit installed, 1k for rims/tires and you are all set!!!

·
Registered
12,116 Posts

Are they talking about TurboXS stages, or what? The $3800 TurboXS stage IV puts down 270 to the wheels (approx 350 crank). That setup will run low 12s 1/4m and high 4s to 60, 'till the tranny breaks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (passaturbonium)

Its a combo of various components, piggyback ecu I believe is turboxs, I don't know.
Its fast and its warrantied, thats what I do know!
They only have stage 1 and 2 under warrantee.

<![CDATA[Its a combo of various components, piggyback ecu I believe is turboxs, I don't know.
Its fast and its warrantied, thats what I do know!
They only have stage 1 and 2 under warrantee.

[Modified by BFive, 11:33 AM 11/14/2002]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (passaturbonium)

They claim to be the only 1 in CT. Give them a call, I don't know all the details. I just went to price shop for stock REX's and I saw 2 silver modified REX's upfront with full warrantees, stage 1 and 2

·
Registered
12,116 Posts

It's definitely not a subaru thing. Subaru Of America doesn't sell any serious performance parts, just gauges and spoilers and stuff like that (just like VW). No way they're going to offer a full warranty on mods like that, otherwise they would be selling cars to people all over the country and giving out transmissions like candy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (Macabre)

yeah, i'm actually pretty surprised to hear any dealer honoring a warranty for modifications like that.

the wrx may be a tin can but its a hoot to drive, ALL THE TIME. it has its own shortcomings and quirks (clutch shudder for one hah!) but its a great car for its price.

·
Registered
220 Posts

hm, their website doesn't give any specific details about their "modified" wrxs. the flash movie and pictures only show that they threw on some body kit pieces, a white guages backing, some autometer gauges, some wheels, and some really tacky "srt" or "sr2" stickers in a terrible effort to make these wrxs seem "better" than a normal wrx. in other words, its kinda like the dealer "creating" a new trim. some people will buy them just like the people who buy body kitted accords and civics from the factory. i'm curious as to what the engine actually has done to it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

I recently read a pretty interesting article comparing the US-spec WRX EJ205 engine vs. the Japanese Sti EJ207. It turns out that most of the hardware on the Sti engine is a lot different than the engine we get in the US WRX. The article also mentions how it's probably not reliable to have over 300hp on 93-octane gas (of course, for those of us in Cali who get 91-oct only, things don't get much better). http://www.spdusa.com/new_page_4.htm .

I imagine you could probably mess with what the Honda guys usually do; get the engine taken out, get some forged pistons and rods installed, then have the block resleeved and bored out (might as well), but that probably would be really expensive. Subie parts arn't exactly cheap either.

If I had to get a WRX, I'd definetly wait for the Sti. Building up a WRX from the ground up might also be a good idea, especially considering earlier models had a much lighter chassis and an equally strong aftermarket support.

BTW- I think the WRX is pretty damn impressive car in termns of accelaeration times, considering it's relatively lame power-to-weight ratio. Of course, the 20% power loss to the wheels isn't a small amount either.

<![CDATA[I recently read a pretty interesting article comparing the US-spec WRX EJ205 engine vs. the Japanese Sti EJ207. It turns out that most of the hardware on the Sti engine is a lot different than the engine we get in the US WRX. The article also mentions how it's probably not reliable to have over 300hp on 93-octane gas (of course, for those of us in Cali who get 91-oct only, things don't get much better). http://www.spdusa.com/new_page_4.htm .

I imagine you could probably mess with what the Honda guys usually do; get the engine taken out, get some forged pistons and rods installed, then have the block resleeved and bored out (might as well), but that probably would be really expensive. Subie parts arn't exactly cheap either.

If I had to get a WRX, I'd definetly wait for the Sti. Building up a WRX from the ground up might also be a good idea, especially considering earlier models had a much lighter chassis and an equally strong aftermarket support.

BTW- I think the WRX is pretty damn impressive car in termns of accelaeration times, considering it's relatively lame power-to-weight ratio. Of course, the 20% power loss to the wheels isn't a small amount either.

[Modified by ronaldmcdonald, 12:13 AM 11/16/2002]

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Re: Test Drove WRX stage II (neokai)

I git a friend that just came from Poland few weeks ago, he said WRX costs about 35000+ and STi goes for 45000+
. These cars are also alot more popular down there since Rally is very popular and having a Subie makes you a god!!! Still those prices are crazy, Im sure they have different components and theres some major differences between US spec and Jap spec Subarus.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 28 Posts