Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG is all I can say at this very moment. I went to pick-up my car from getting a coolant flush and since I am a "frequent flyer" there they now me quite well. So, they were running behind on the change and I had about one hour to kill. The sales guy new I was drooling over the car and said "you know that no one has been allowed to test drive the R32's yet, unless they are signing the paperwork to buy..................would you like to drive it?" Feeling like some kid in a candy store with my tongue hanging out, wiping the drool off my face.............ahhh, let me see yes or no!

So, he lets me drive it around town and :shock: is all I can say!!! I WANT IT! The drive is amazing. I couldn't get past how torquey it was! I haven't had a manual for years since buying my Passat. I do have an old '84 BMW manual, but they are 100% different. The brakes were so responsive I probably jerked my sales friend around until I was getting adjusted. Still amazed at that car!!! I had to share as I still have a stupid grin on my face!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Really?! They want potential buyers to sign something so that they could see how great the R32 actually is. :crazy:

I want a test drive NOW! And without the salesperson, please. :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I love my dealership. A few weeks ago I got a test drive of a Phaeton, and when I was getting my oil changed Wednesday I asked my salesman if I could test drive The R32. He said they weren't checked in yet, but promised me a ride next week.

Also on the list to drive is the Passat TDI.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I looked at a R32 at an Atlanta dealership last week while I was there on business. I am actually afraid to test drive one for fear that I will have to have one. I have a buddy that bought one in Minneapolis and he said he loves it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is the R32's engine considered a VR6? If not, what's the difference?

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Agreed. As Mac or somoene mentioned, give it a year when they've gotten all of the "gotta-have-the-latest" types and then realize they can't meet the sales forecast. However, the timing isn't "too" bad. Economy is picking up slightly but still, even I'd have a problem with a $30,000+ "GOLF/GTi" (My first one was under $9k!)

Becca: I do have to ask: is the exhaust sound as loud inside as it is ouside? I have to admit having tailed one a few times, it's loud "out of the box".

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
There are so many other cars in the price range that are faster. Why would you want one ?!?!?!? :poke: :lol:
I think its different strokes for different folks.

Some one who is looking for decent performance, and a VW interior, this is their car.

For others (like me) who are more biased towards performance, an EVO/STi more fits the bill.

with more power i'd be all over it.

-Nick

·
Registered
811 Posts
HermanH said:
Becca: I do have to ask: is the exhaust sound as loud inside as it is ouside? I have to admit having tailed one a few times, it's loud "out of the box".
Herman,

I'll give you my answer.

The loudness depends on speed and RPM. At below 45 and 3200 RPM, it is fairly quiet. You can hear some rumbling, gurgles, and pops but it is pretty muted That’s actually not too bad because you can really hear the VR6 sounds as it is winding up.

Above 45 and 3200 RPM, a vacuum actuated flapper opens up that allows a shorter flow through the muffler. This is when the exhaust really howls. It is an indescribably sweet sound. The flapper was installed to meet some German noise requirement at lower speeds

Guess what the most popular 1st R32 mod is? Disabling the flapper by using a screw or a clamp on the vacuum hose, thereby keeping the flapper open at all speeds.

With mod, the exhaust howls, crackles, burbles, and snaps. Engine braking is sheer joy. It is now a lot noisier and more noticeable. People will really look at you. Not like a ricer type exhaust, but more of “whoa, what is that?”

I go quiet or loud, depending my mood or the time of the day. Takes me about 5 seconds to close or open a clamp.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah, the experience reminds me a lot of the first time I test drove a Mk4 GTi VR6. The torque and responsiveness of the engine was really fun. I think I could understand the appeal of the VR6. This was when the VR's had some measly 170 or so hp. However, I think I'd be much happier with a lighter and substantially cheaper used Mk3 GTi VR6, or even a Corrado VR6. The lower weight of earlier VW models would prob make up for the lower hp ratings

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just took one for a spin as well.
That's a pretty slick little car. The torque is really nice. The brakes are great. If you are a fan of the VR6, this one is really impressive. It sounds fantastic.
Very refined like other VR6 engines, though it really tears through the rev range and has that exhaust note that is pretty damn epic.
It's a bit quicker than I thought it was going to be. Second and third gears really get it.
The gear change is a bit vague, but solid enough, and the throws are short.
The seats are super impressive as well, if a little overboard for my tastes. The steering wheel is obviously pretty cool.
Suspension is pretty well sorted. The independent rear suspension transforms this car into something pretty special.
The first thing I thought of getting back into my Passat, I wish my Passat had this motor.
The price is high, a couple grand less and this thing would be hard to pass up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
lipper
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing