Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Saw this on DVDTalk and wanted to share. Looks pretty cool. But very pricey at 92K. Goes 200-250miles on a charge. 0-60 in 4 seconds. They want 50K to 30K down for delivery in mid-late 08. Sounds like they need a little capital to get going on these things. :lol:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Tesla is awesome, its a local company here in bay area and a lot of my friends are engineers there. costs of it are pretty expensive for now, but it should come down in the next few years. However the price tag doesn't seem to discourage any buyers, they are already sold out few years in advance :)

right now the car can do 200 miles on charge, but of course it all depends on how heavy your foot is, I would realistically say 120-150 miles per charge. which is still fantastic in my opinion. The body is designed by Lotus, and uses Elise frame.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
right now the car can do 200 miles on charge, but of course it all depends on how heavy your foot is, I would realistically say 120-150 miles per charge.
Speaking of which, how long does it take to refresh the charge? Say you take it on a drive and hit the 150 - 200 mile mark (easy to do). Then what?

If I'm driving a plain old planet killer, I simply pull into a gas station and 3 - 5 minutes later, I'm back on the road (of course, I also don't need to stop until I reach 300 - 350 miles).

Just curious because I don't know.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Speaking of which, how long does it take to refresh the charge? Say you take it on a drive and hit the 150 - 200 mile mark (easy to do). Then what?

If I'm driving a plain old planet killer, I simply pull into a gas station and 3 - 5 minutes later, I'm back on the road (of course, I also don't need to stop until I reach 300 - 350 miles).

Tesla's website says 3.5 hours for a full charge.

There's also a "mobile" charging unit that stores in the trunk and allows you to hook into any 110V or 220V outlet.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

it takes about an hour for a full charge. You just have to remember that this is kind of a grocery getter, go to work car. You wont want to take it for a vacation. Gasoline engine defiantly has a better infrastructure build to accommodate it so it will be an easier/cheaper option for long time to come, but Tesla is taking baby steps to bring in an electric car that really does it right.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Yea, but as discussed in an earlier thread, this car doesn't solve any of the problems associated with bringing electrics to the mainstream. Not sure where "it takes about an hour for a full charge" comes from. It says on their website "as little as 3.5 hours", which likely means it usually takes longer. Anyways, the car is cool and takes good advantage of the advances in battery technology over the past few years, but I don't think it brings us any closer to having regular people driving around in purely electric cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts