Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i really really need yalls help. i used to have a little bit of a rat problem (scurrying around in my garage). theyd always hide behind hte boxes and i bet they dug themselves a real big hole. well i got sick of this and me & my dad bought a lot of that rat poison stuff. the poison was all eaten and we thought stuff is ok. now that hes on business, shtick hits the fan! i come home from my Ford Truck World G2G and my moms like OMG COME HERE. so i go over to the staircase and the MOST ABOMINABLE SMELL in the world just tears my noise apart. i look everwhere! i thought maybe me or my dad left a banana peel layin around and it stunk up. but no. so we get into the garage and behind the box we see one dead rat, but it doesnt smell. so common sense dictates that there are a NEST of dead rats somewhere in the walls. this is terrible and my baby house ( 6 months) has been violated!!!

guys, are there any suggestions yall can make for me?

thanks so much!

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Candles will help. Lots & Lots of candles. Just don't burn your house down. :roll: And if the weather is nice, open all the windows. If they are in the walls, good luck finding them before they stop stinking. And I think it will take more than a week.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You need to find the nest and get them out. They may only smell for a week, but you have decomposing carcuses in your walls spreading bacteria like wild. Look for trails of droppings and see if you can figure out where they are going into the wall. THey are probably not far from there.

Ever done drywalling before? Its not too bad. :wink:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
I feel your pain man. Here's a story to add...

Mom feels the tranny on her car begin to get rough. 2 months ago there was a horrible smell in the front garage (2 car front, single in the back) so we started setting up traps. Smell went away about 1-2 weeks later. So, Wednesday, my mom asked my step dad to check the ATP in the Sebring Convert. THERE IT WAS, a fried, nice plump rat wedged on top of the V6 intake manifold. Body was about 6-8" long, and the tail another 8-10" long. Do the math... that was a large rat stuck under the hood. Im guessing, with the cold spurts, the rat came out from the craw space, and cuddled up in the warm engine bay. Sat on top of the engine, and next thing ya know, burned to death.

As for your case, sorry to see it like this. What the rat poison is made to do is drive the rats out to look for water. This, in most cases, keeps the rats from dying in the house and between the walls. Winter of 2003 was the same as you guys, another huge rat issue. They nested under the house where the kitchen sits, and the nest was pretty large. At night, they would fight and play between the exterior brick walls and the interior wood paneling in the front garage. Days later, the horrible smell was again in the garage. Best thing to do is keep the house open, let things air out, and keep candles burning to help with the smell. Once the time passes, if you can gain access to some drywall installation material, that would be your best bet. Poke some holes in the wall and see if you can locate the dead things. Continue to look for the nest. More then likely, its in the garage somewhere. Check all boxes, empty, chewed, etc. They make their nests out of the household trash and stuff from anywhere they cn find it.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
ne whouse will fix it :p

Being a country boy I have had plenty of experience with rodents. Saddly you have two real options:
1)Wait
2) Move

Once you start looking for the 'smell' it could take you a couple days to find the source IF you find it at all. Then you have to get to it, IF you can at all. then you have to repair any damage you did. All told the smell would have dissipated by then of it's volition.

Incense! :wink:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Had the same problem. Really wasn't able to do anything but just address the odor problem. We just kept the windows open for a few days; sprayed Lysol to fight the stench and try to kill some of the bacteria. Took about 3 days and the odor was gone. (Yeah, we know there's a rat carcas somewhere in the house, but the thought doesn't really bother us...)

·
Registered
828 Posts
RichieV6 said:
I've never had rat problems myself, but the first thing I'd do is get an exterminator over there pronto.
Yea, don't screw around with them. I have a friend who had to replace a $800 wiring harnass in this Chevy Tahoe because rats chewed on it and created a bunch of little shorts.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Have a cigar smoking party, that'll cover the smell and your house will smell like a genuine tobacconist's shop! Sorry, I live in VA, the tobacco capital of the world, lol :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
the smell won't last a week, it will last many weeks until the body has been totally eaten by maggots and disappears. I've been fighting rats for the last 3 years, killed 87 with traps and have not used poison for that very reason. I have fcund that if you can find where they are traveling to get inside, usually by bath tubs, I have discovered that they don't like walking through cayenne(red pepper) I deduced that once they have traveled through the hot stuff and bother to try to lick off the stuff are in for a suprise. The pros(who I didn't hire) lied about the smell issue and I also discovered that there are two classes of rat guys. (1) these guys will set out traps and bait and check them a few times and charge a lot of money but won't guarantee what they do.(2) these guys come out and say they will rat proof your house, making it difficult for them to get in. I say what happens when they are already in? and they say they can't control that. Neither group promise success or that they will get rid of the rats. I am fighting an ongoing battle and am doing ok. When my dog finally dies and I can totally eliminate her food from the garage, I will probably get a cat,and keep it in the garage for a while. Buy a bunch of traps, use packing tape to tape peanut butter to the trigger. The only way to get rid of the smell is to open up the suspected walls.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks so much guys! initially, i thought id just leave them inside the walls, but the bacteria issue really bugs us so we might bust out a small section of wall

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
12 Participants
MRrockShow182
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing