Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home about 3 minutes away and the engine kept on sputtering and the RPMs went crazy for a little. I put it into park and the same problem. A CEL popped up and I lost traction to drive. Drove it a little bearing in the 1500rpm range. It was too bad so I pulled over and smelt a burning smell from the engine. It's way too late tonight to do anything, but can anyone give me assurance or try to diagnose what just happened? Anything would be great. Thanks.

2003 Silver Passat 1.8T 77,600

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No, timing belt means no go and metal crashing/screeching sound.

Burning smell + sputtering. My guess is oil or coolant, less likely air intake since a lack of air wouldn't cause a smell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got an oil change at an indy about a week ago.

What should my next step be? I'll get on the mechanic in the morning.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
First, pull the codes and see what you have. Second, see if you can determine where the burn smell is coming from. Third, check the oil level.

Avoid turning it on until it is determined that its safe to do so.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Anytime the check engine llight is *FLASHING* you need to stop immeidatly.

You may have had a minor issue that is now a HUGE issue because you kept driving it.

I hope you don't, but just an FYI for next time.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, here is an update so far.

Checked all of the fluids - fine.

Started the car up. Idle at cold start about 1200rpm. Don't have a vagcom available to pull the numbers. Flashing CEL. Engine shakes with a faint spuddering. No smell - could be because I didn't want to keep the car running. Nothing seems to be damage but my guess would be a belt is about to go or went. I'm hesitant to say timing belt because the symptoms are just not there, but anything else I'm not sure.

Not sure if I should drive it to the mechanics (~1mile away downhill) tomorrow or what to do. I personally think it could make it but I don't want to risk anything if things are bad.

My poor Passat *sniff*

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My money is on a coil!

Usually you don't want to drive on a flashing cel but if it's not making horrible metal on metal noises or smoking like crazy you should be ok to drive it to your indy.

Have you taken the engine cover off to see if a coil pack has popped up? I know some of the push down coils in a B5.5 like to pop up when they are going out. It's something to look at that may be a simple fix.

·
Banned
845 Posts
I just had the %*%*%* coilpack done a month or 2 ago too.
The HORRIBLE thing is that VW should have fixed ALL the coils on your car by now, but they had so many cars to fix that they didn't fix all the coils only the one that was bad at the moment under the recall. VW basically left all the other soon to be bad coils left in as ticking timebombs.
Shame on you VW. You should write a letter to VW and try and get your money back as it should have been FIXED right under the recall.
I'll phone and write VW as soon as I get some free time myself.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I just had the %*%*%* coilpack done a month or 2 ago too.
The HORRIBLE thing is that VW should have fixed ALL the coils on your car by now, but they had so many cars to fix that they didn't fix all the coils only the one that was bad at the moment under the recall. VW basically left all the other soon to be bad coils left in as ticking timebombs.
Shame on you VW. You should write a letter to VW and try and get your money back as it should have been FIXED right under the recall.
I'll phone and write VW as soon as I get some free time myself.
you go sal!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
you go sal!
Stop encouraging him

I don't think it is a coil pack based on his description. When mine went there was no smell, actually not much of anything.

The CEL was flashing, car had *no* power and sounded rough. However there was no weird smell, rpm's didn't go crazy and it didn't sputter.

PCV blockage was a lot closer to this with rpm's fluctuating at idle (800-1200), oil leaking out of the CCT gasket causing a horrible smell and much less power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright guys, thanks for the help.

Jagaer: There was a faint smell, but that could have been anything. Could have been that the engine was running for a while or something else. It was very faint and I should have mentioned that. I didn't say I had no power, I was still able to drive it. The RPM's did go crazy when it first happened but when I let it idle in the driveway they were normal. There was sputtering.

The codes were pulled and it was a misfire in the 2nd and 4th cylinder. It was the ignition coils. Both were replaced. I'm still trying to figure out why I had the smell the first night and the rapid movement of the RPMs. Running real smooth again, out some cash, but running well.

I appreciate it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,390 Posts
buy two more just in case. Glad everything worked out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts