Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i spent a good 4 hours at the dealership yesterday and i was FINALLY given an answer is to why im constantly having misfires and rough idles. I couldnt figure out why the car ran fine during the test drive and long trip back to florida, silky smooth..it was beautiful. So the answer i was given is BAD FUEL!

Apparently the gas station i have been going to for a month since ive had the car has been selling watered down gas. That is a sample of what they retrieved out of my tank.

The mechanic told me the reason im getting misfires is because as u can see from the pic, overnite, the gas settles to the bottom. So in the morning when i start the car thats whats getting pulled in beacause the molecules in the water, and gas have not mixed together which gives me the sporadic misfires and shaky idles. They recommended taking the tank out, emptying it, clean it out, and put it back in, and dispose of the contaminated fuel. Unfortunately its an outside influence that has been bringing mechanical difficulties to the car so the warranty is null in this situation. So the approx total is $600.

They also gave me an alternative cost-conscience option of just running this tank of bad fuel all the way to fumes or until the car dies, fill it up with Shell premium and that will clean out the tank and when its empty fill it with Shell premium again. After that if the car still has the rough idiling and constant misfires then bring it back in and theyll take another crack at it.

So...im planning on having this Gas Station reported and investigated. What opinions or suggestions do you all have?

Thanks, Dubman:thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Damn that sucks. I know you're supposed to be wary of certain gas stations, but this is ridiculous now. Sorry you had to deal with this mess. At least nothing was ruined in your engine (knock on wood).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would be careful. A few years back VW kept blaming bad fuel for my missfirings for 4 months charging me for stuff they were doing, where at the end it turned out to be bad spark plugs plus plug cables.
Right after that I found this forum and bought the cable. I don't trust the dealer at all if I can't confirm it in here.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be careful. A few years back VW kept blaming bad fuel for my missfirings for 4 months charging me for stuff they were doing, where at the end it turned out to be bad spark plugs plus plug cables.
Right after that I found this forum and bought the cable. I don't trust the dealer at all if I can't confirm it in here.
Tru, but i guess this dealership wasnt lying to me. I put $50 worth of Shell Premium in today and the rough start and idling is gone. It feels alot smoother and cleaner. Maybe your bad spark plugs and cables were a result of 4 months of bad fuel running thru them:confused: Idk?? but im happy now:thumbup:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I remember that with my other car, I constantly used not-the-best-quality fuel. That ended up with regularly changing sparks :) At first I could not understand why, but when mechanic show me the sparks - it was something worth seeing. Ever since I've been going with shell-premium (or similar, we have Statoil and Neste here which both are Norway companies). And previously symptoms where: lack of power, higher consumption. So, it's not worth saving a few pennies on fuel, when considering potential damage it can make.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Glad to here your car is doing better. My car had the bad idling also. It had a leak coming from around the seal of the vacuum pump. I fixed that no more leak but as soon as I cleared the codes I got another one that popped up. It says I have a leak in the air intake system. I'm taking it to my mechanics shop on Friday and he is going to run a smoke test. I'm hoping it's just the PCV. :(

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to here your car is doing better. My car had the bad idling also. It had a leak coming from around the seal of the vacuum pump. I fixed that no more leak but as soon as I cleared the codes I got another one that popped up. It says I have a leak in the air intake system. I'm taking it to my mechanics shop on Friday and he is going to run a smoke test. I'm hoping it's just the PCV. :(
Hopefully man. Sorry to hear that. Is your car outta warranty?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm out of all warranty now. Doesn't bug me to much. I can fix the PCV myself but he's gonna run the smoke test for free. So I said what the hell.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm out of all warranty now. Doesn't bug me to much. I can fix the PCV myself but he's gonna run the smoke test for free. So I said what the hell.
Well thats good...now that this idiling thing is taken care of..i can chip it!:driving:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am very careful about where I purchase my gas. I have been running Shell V-Power for a while now. I really like it and my car runs great on it. If there isn't a Shell around I get gas at Costco. A good way to tell if you are getting good clean gas is to see how quickly it pumps. If it pumps fast that tells you that the filters are clean. If it pumps slow I tend to only put in a few and go to another station. I never ran into this problem at Shell or Costco. They tend to change there filters often. I had a really bad experience at Uni-mart with my other vehicle. It sputtered and idled terribly with that gas...so I quickly learned my lesson.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts