Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 1.8T passat and the needle on the dashboard temperature gauge rarely moves. The water pump was replaced by the dealership about 6 months ago, (it was making a noise, covered under warranty). After that repair the needle on the gauge seemed to work like it should.

Recently I have noticed that the needle doesn't show any movement most of the time. The outside temperature is still warm on the east coast, so it can't be the outside temperature affecting this. When the car is warmed up, shouldn't the needle read close to the top of the gauge?

Should I be concerned about the water pump again?

Please help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the needle would go straight up to the middle of the gauge. The needle would go back down and the come up again. I suppose as the engine cools itself and then gets hot again.

When I am driving the car the needle is a the far left or bottom of the gauge (indicating that the engine is cool)

So, is it the sensor or something else? What should I do? Can i replace the sensor myself?

·
Registered
352 Posts
the blue sensor seems to have a lot of problems, i've changed mine out twice(and so far so good "knock on wood" , i think it costs 15 bones, and make sure they give you a new o-ring and if they have it: a new c-clip (that holds the sensor in place) the clips are made of plastic and to avoid a second trip to the stealership in case the one in your car breaks.

also when installing the new sensor, dont press down on it too hard, since the housing is made of plastic and could crack.

its not dificult at all!! about 10-30 minutes is all that it should take u. :thumbup: good luck...........

ALfredo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.