Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp guage on my 99 V6 is stuck on cold. Anyone have this problem?
Anyone know if it is the old fashioned kind with a screw in sensor and a wire to the dash, or is it more exotic. Thinking maybe the wire came loose?
Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my temp gauge. It comes and goes as it pleases. Usually after the car has warmed up it works fine, but even then sometimes it goes up and down. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its most likely the temp sensor i had the same problem a couple of months ago the gauge would fluctuate from cold to normal temperature. i think the sensor is like $80 or something like that.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The intermittent or inactive dash gage is most likely due to a bad coolant temperature sensor. There are two sensors available. One is green and one is blue. You need to be sure which one is original to your car because they have different electrical connectors; they can't be interchanged. Impex carries both, though I think ECS tuning has a better price on the blue one. Here are the part numbers and the prices that I found on Impex. If you do a search for some variation of "coolant temperature sensor" you will find lots of info on how to change it. It is pretty simple; definitely a DIY repair.

Blue Sensor - 078 919 501B - $18.27
Green Sensor - 059 919 501A - $4.85

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
jaero
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing