Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find too much about 4motion on google, other than that the version in the passats uses a torsen lsd. I have a w8 and I'm often wondering about torque distribution and whether or not the system is fulltime, etc. Anyone have the technical info on this system?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I can't find too much about 4motion on google, other than that the version in the passats uses a torsen lsd. I have a w8 and I'm often wondering about torque distribution and whether or not the system is fulltime, etc. Anyone have the technical info on this system?
if its anything like my V-6 ,which im sure it is ,4-motion is full time torsen and appx.65% F 35 % R drive wheel distribution from what ive read

·
Registered
190 Posts
4Motion is the VW name for the Quattro system used in the Audis.
http://www.audiforum.nl/Technique/Quattro/quattro.html

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
4Motion is indeed rebranded Quattro IV.
It is full time AWD - from a standing start, rear gets 66% of the torque, front gets 34%.
When a wheel slips (below 40-45mph) the ABS will apply the brake on that wheel. That will cause the differential on that axle to lock, which will cause the center Torsen (Torque Sensing) differential to redistribute torque front to rear.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Interesting article - even more interesting is the claim that "...torsens days are numbered..." though VW/Audi/Porsche are still using it (MY2007) and Torsen differentials are now offered as an upgrade option on Toyota and other SUVs.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
50/50 torque split full time with variance of 67/33 to either axle.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i believe he does have a W8 :p

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
To recap... 50/50 no slip, up to 65/35 front or rear on slip.

The only Torsen diff is the center diff. The front and rear diffs are open diffs and use the ABS system to brake the spinning wheel (as mentioned below 35 mph) and pass the torque side to side, aka ELD (Electronic Differential Lock). Not to be confused with ASR (Anti-Slip Reduction) which is ignition retard.

As far as the hitch-hijack... only one 4Mo, aftermarket, Class 1 hitch available... and it attached to the tow ring (yuck). Made by Curt Mfg (got to www.hitchweb.com ).

That or the Euro hitch.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I understand it's almost impossible to find a trailer hitch for a 4motion wagon.

Let me know if i'm wrong.
Your hitch possibilities are limited with a 4-Mo but 'pass-variant' is correct Curt or Da'lan, or if you can afford it get a Westfalia :thumbup: (see my homepage)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts