Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 B5.5 Passat 1.8t tiptronic
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my engine mounts in, now I don’t have to worry about my flex pipe breaking and I’m looking at getting a downpipe and full exhaust for my car. I want to keep my cat since I’m only stage 1 and would prefer to keep the fumes down. I’m looking at getting a Techtonics 2.5” downpipe to a full 2.5” exhaust with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator and no muffler. Yes it might be a little loud and I’m still deciding if I will throw a borla muffler on their of some sort. My main question is… will I see any performance gains with this setup? Maybe even like 5-10 horsepower? I know the stock system is extremely restrictive but I don’t know if I should go with a 2.5” or 3” system. Thanks!

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,943 Posts
If you want a larger exhaust, a high flow cat is the place to start. The downpipe and full 2.5" setup will add some power, but the HFC will add even more and allow faster spool.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want a larger exhaust, a high flow cat is the place to start. The downpipe and full 2.5" setup will add some power, but the HFC will add even more and allow faster spool.
So I’m assuming the Techtonics tuning downpipe bolts onto my stock cat or does it bolt onto my turbo? I’m kinda confused by this since it doesn’t exactly specify on their website and I’m not looking to go catless.

·
Registered
2004 VW Passat 4motion, 5sp 1.8t; ko4, green injectors, VR6 MAF housing, Techtonics exhaust
30 Posts
So I’m assuming the Techtonics tuning downpipe bolts onto my stock cat or does it bolt onto my turbo? I’m kinda confused by this since it doesn’t exactly specify on their website and I’m not looking to go catless.
The downpipe does bolt onto the catalytic converter. Those bolts are a bear to get to, FWIW, so be prepared to struggle a bit. A crows-foot wrench helps.

I put a Techtonics 2.5" DP on my Passat after I got a stage 1 APR tune years ago, and my seat-of-the-pants dyno told me it was making more HP :p

·
Registered
2004 VW Passat 4motion, 5sp 1.8t; ko4, green injectors, VR6 MAF housing, Techtonics exhaust
30 Posts
I hope that's the case. My cat has been throwing codes intermittently so I bought an 034 Motorsports cat to replace the stock piece.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The downpipe does bolt onto the catalytic converter. Those bolts are a bear to get to, FWIW, so be prepared to struggle a bit. A crows-foot wrench helps.

I put a Techtonics 2.5" DP on my Passat after I got a stage 1 APR tune years ago, and my seat-of-the-pants dyno told me it was making more HP :p
What exhaust system do you have? I’m planning on getting an ultra quiet vibrant resonator with my stock cat and no muffler. Do you think this will be too loud? I’m not looking for it to be obnoxious although I still want it to sound aggressive. I’m worried that adding an aftermarket muffler will just make it too quiet

·
Registered
30 Posts
What exhaust system do you have? I’m planning on getting an ultra quiet vibrant resonator with my stock cat and no muffler. Do you think this will be too loud? I’m not looking for it to be obnoxious although I still want it to sound aggressive. I’m worried that adding an aftermarket muffler will just make it too quiet
I had a stock exhaust with the exception of the DP. Now I have a full TT exhaust, but the car isn't running yet.

FWIW, I've had good luck with their exhaust systems. They're well-made, fit perfectly and are sporty sounding without droning or being obnoxious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts