·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
technical question from a newbie--- UPDATE! PICS too

Alright, from the top.
(i am new to VW, bare with me)

-Saw the ad on CL for a 99 1.8T, it said "bad alternator"
-I went there with a jump pack, it was weak..engine barely turned and didn't start
-I bought the car and had it towed home
-Tried jumping again with my Legend, sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't
-Ripped the battery out and charged it.
-Tried to start with the freshly re-charged jump pack alone (no battery), lights lit up, but did not even try to start.- acted like an anti-theft system was in place...
-Tested battery by dealer- "Good Battery"
-Re-installed the same battery. Went to start it..Still acts like anti-theft system won't let it attempt to turn over.

At this point i did another re-evaluation and took note of the following:

-Trunk latch will not latch..light in dashboard on. Is there a safety feature that won't let it start? (i tried having someone push down while i turned the car on-it didnt change anything) Gas door button works, trunk button in glovebox has no reaction

-I have strong power in headlights, brake lights..radio works, dash lights up, no interior courtesy lights, no power in window switches (they do roll up/down with the key from outside),

-tried the "2 minute drill", heard what i thought was the throttle valve go into position...still did even attempt to turn over when i tried to start it.
i did not hear the beeping warning that the key is in the ignition and driver door is open...again, no courtesy lights either.

-Checked most of the fuses in the door panel, all the ones i checked look good.

-no reaction to any keyless entry functions

-red light near my gear shifter is on, looks like my foot should be on the brake...tried different combinations...no luck.

-In the dash, all lights come on when i first put my key in...then only battery light, engine light and brake light...sometimes ABS light...all others disappear after a few moments.

I am working on getting a VAG-COM session from one of the good guys here...

All tips/advise/help is appreciated. If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
It could be the CCM. It controls the alarm, starter disable, keyless entry, door locks, power windows, sunroof, trunk latch, gas door release, and interior lights.

Get a multi-meter and check the ICM. There's a writeup on this forum explaining how to do it. Also, check that you coilpacks are all seated, and check the short "boots" underneath them for cracks, etc.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
why would you buy a turbo car without starting it 1st .... should have made sure it turned over 1st....
that why it was cheap.... motor might be shot
take your battery out of your legend and use that ...???
thought you bought the car from the VW dealer ?
dont tell me Craigslist (CL)?

im going to be in NOVA over the weekend and maybe i can shoot out to where you are to take alook @ it and give you a hand ....
i right by lindley VW in STERLING

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
------soundguybob:
I better look into this CCM/ICM thing....

-----bksuperman:
well, I did hear it turn over...and it *was* trying to start before I took the battery out and then back in. I dont think another battery will help since it is not even ATTEMPTING to turn over and the battery is fully charged and tested out as good.

CL=craigslist, i live there and love it. (Even IF it had a bad motor, it was a good deal)

I hate dealers, will only purchase from them after I win the lottery.

I will be around ALL weekend fiddling with it...anyone is welcome to come on over and all help is appreciated.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
1 so see if it has spark, fuel.
2 ccm might be [email protected]

3 check fuses and relays.
just thoughts.
4 do you really wanna do this? J/K
best of luck,
cant wait to hear WTF it is.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Does it turn over or not??? If the starter doesn't engage, then it could be one of two starter interlock relays or the devices that control them or fuse 14. If the starter engages, it's not the anti-theft system (CCM). What is your battery voltage? before trying to start and after trying to start? Is your fuel pump running? Have someone turn key to start while you listen for the fuel pump in the trunk under the mat to run.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scottpassat2.8:

1.I want it to attempt to turn over first...all it does now is the lights in the dash all go out...and nothing from the engine..
2. i dont know what a ccm is and it wont come up in "search" can you point me to a thread?
3. I gotta wait till day light...next chance-Saturday morning
4. Yeah, i got to get this Beee-otch up and rolling!

Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kenblasko:

the starter is not engaging thus no "turning over", the battery is freshly charged and tested to be good. Dont need the fuel pump to get her to turn over..right?

The starter used to engage and engine barely turned over, when the battery was weak and before I pulled it out and charged it.

I am ruling out CCM for now, since it did turn over a day or so ago when i bought it.

Tell me more about fuse 14, the interlock things...and the devices.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Did you check fuse 14???? If it doesn't turn over and your interior lights do not work it's usually fuse 14. You need to check it with an ohmeter because the fuse can look okay but be bad.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you check fuse 14???? If it doesn't turn over and your interior lights do not work it's usually fuse 14. You need to check it with an ohmeter because the fuse can look okay but be bad.
Oh snap, your a genious! i am gonna look in the book and try this...be back in 20 minutes..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Fuse 14 was bad. BUT now I have a barrage of other issues.

1. This was there before fuse 14 was discovered...that LOUD beeping sounds, goes off a few times then goes away..not door, lights, or radio, or seatbelt....is this telling me my trunk is open? (another issue) or something else?

2. Engine will still not turn over. Will not even attempt to, no starter engage.
I have more of the lights I see in the dash too...

3. The interior lights started to flicker after i tried to turn on the head lights. I got out, tried to do things with the key in the driver door, it stopped and I saw some redlights near the door lock...I got back in and still no start...tried the interior lights to make sure fuse 14 was still good. They started to flicker again. Blink..2 seconds...blink....2 seconds...blink-------WTF?

Any other ideas?

PS. I am still trying to keep faith the CCM is good, sunroof works...other things work... Thanks for the link Scottpassat...atleast i know what it is now.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
i think this place may have something for you...

just kidding, thught you could use it.
keep striving!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
gonna get good

this is gonna be a fun thread to watch for a while :drink: sitback and enjoy the entertainment:beer:
by the way have you pulled the front covers and put a wrench on one of the front pulley bolts to see if the engine is free to turn over??? ie(crank or cam bolt)

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Sure sounds like an alarm problem (blinking interior lights) that does not allow the starter interlock relay for alarms to pick up. Pull the carpet up on the driver's side and check the connections in the wiring harness and the connector for corrosion. Clean / repair if bad. If there has been water intrusion to the driver's footwell area (common issue), then corrosion is a possibility. Also, make sure fuse 6 and 38 are good since they are related to the CCM. If everything looks okay, then you need to scan the CCM with Vag-com for faults.

You can bypass the starter interlock relays by jumpering around them to start the car. Assuming your ignition switch is okay, there are two relays that must energize and their contacts close to put positive to the starter. Relay 204 for the neutral saftey switch (for tiptronic) or clutch interlock (if you have a manual tranny) and Relay 186 for the alarm system. If both those relays pick up, then the car should crank. My guess would be that relay 186 is not picking up since you are having so many CCM related issues. So to get your car started, you can pull relay 186 and jumper the connectors in the relay socket that correspond to the relay 186 contact. The relay pins for the contact are pins 2 and 8. Also the pins could be labeled 30 and 87. Jumper the corresponding relay socket receptors and see if your car will start.

The relays are under the driver's side dash. Take the lower part of the dash off and you should see the relay panel.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Kenblasko...this is good advise and I am going to do it on Saturday morning...Thats the next time I have free time during daylight hours. One of the guys offered a Vag_com session...hope he comes through.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the car sat for 2 months before i bought it. Dont know if this makes a difference or not.

PS-The car is in PARK (even tried nuetral)! grrrrrrr, i am a newbie to VW, not cars!

·
Registered
239 Posts
now that you've already bought the car.....

ask the owner whats the REAL reason that he sold the car. It might save you a ton of hours and might not be what you think it is. WOuld a botched timing belt prevent a car from turning over??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts