Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Awesome Alex....What a way to spen the weekend.I wish that I lived in your neck of the woods I'd be there once a month...Kudos to you and the Kumhos. What size wheels are you running?

Nice pic..by the way.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Nice AA! Which Khumo's are you running? I'm not loving my noisey flat-spotting 711's.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How are they for noise? I want to put a good handling 17" on my car, but I hate all the noise for my daily commute? I probably only get two track days a summer, but can't justify three sets of wheels/tires (winter, commuter, track).

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Looks like you have a bit of oversteer there...still running the 1BE springs?

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes on the 1BE, and any oversteer was all throttle-induced. That photo looks understeer-y to me, but I did get sideways in the tighter turns. My instructor had me driving straight into the turns as if each one was compound. I charged in, braking hard at the last minute, turned hard, and powered out for what I considered a very late apex. By pulling out that way, I was able to transfer some momentum to the rear and swing it around.

I've never driven FWD that way - he said that I was approaching the corners like I was driving a big V8 RWD car. I was lifting off the throttle going in as if I was going to swing the rear around the turn without scrubbing speed off and making an apex sweep instead of a point. Then I would have to brake to pull it around. Buy charging in, I pointed and did all of my turning early so I could power out.

RWD = power in, FWD = power out. Wow. :)

The 712s are very noisy past the first 30% of tread. They're better than a lot of all seasons out there, but they are not the best street tyres for the Passat. Hopefully the MXs will give me more of what I am looking for. I would definitely consider the 712s for track only on the Passat.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It looks like you had great fun, Kathy! Next time get more pics!!!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts