Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) How do they work?
2) When you watch tv at home you pay the cable company, who do you pay when you want to watch tv in your car?
3) What channels do you get?
4) Does it matter what TV tuner you get or is it all about what antenna you get?
5) All you need is a screen, antenna, and tv tuner to watch in your car, right? Anything else?
6) To those that have tv tuners in their cars, what problems/frustrations have you experienced with it?
7) Anything else I should know before making my purchase?

TIA, :bow: :bow:
Jacob

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had one in CA 4 years ago. The antenna is preaty important, get the best one you can! Depending on where you live depends on how many channels you get. In O.C. I got about 3 DAMN channels, and they usually didn't come in clear! :mad:
I got a pioneer tv tuner and all the wires I'm trying to sell if your intersted. (Not the old one I had I got it for an extra input for my dvd, but found out I didn't need it :mad: )
-Ryan :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
PhatRabbitzz said:
1) How do they work?
Just like your first ghetto tv at home with the rabbit ears on top.

2) When you watch tv at home you pay the cable company, who do you pay when you want to watch tv in your car?
Nobody, TV was around before cable. How do you think everyone in the 80s watched TV, with rabbit ears or roof mounted antennas.

3) What channels do you get?
It will depend on what is available in the area you're in when you're watching it. Usually, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, UPN and The WB. Unless you pop for a $3000 slimline, tracking satellite dih and then you can watch satellite while you drive.

4) Does it matter what TV tuner you get or is it all about what antenna you get?
It's not the tuner so much as the antenna. The best mobile audio antenna I've seen is made by Sony and costs $100 retail but it will pull in stations better than anything I've ever seen.

5) All you need is a screen, antenna, and tv tuner to watch in your car, right? Anything else?
To watch it, correct. You'll probably want to listen to it at some point though so you'll need to feed the audio to your radio and/or a set of wireless headphones.

6) To those that have tv tuners in their cars, what problems/frustrations have you experienced with it?
You will never, EVER, get the kind of reception you get at home since TV signals were not meant to be viewed with a moving tuner.

7) Anything else I should know before making my purchase?
Audiovox (yes, THAT Audiovox) makes some of the best mobile video gear on the market and it isn't nearly as expensive as an Alpine, Pioneer or other high-end company's gear.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Listen to the Quality_sound man :lol: :lol: :bow: ...............Good luck with it, let me know how it went, i eventually want to do it in mine, just the headrest ones for the back passengers with dvd...............Rah............ :b5: :thumbup: .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts