Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i purchased a 99 Passat a couple of weeks ago and it has about 94K miles on it. There have been 2 owners. I have service records from the dealership on the first owner but none on the second. I am not sure if the timing belt has been replaced but according to a phone conversation I had with Jose @ Eurotech, there is no way that it could not have been replaced by now. How can I tell right away if it has already been replaced? Pictures would help a lot ...thx

·
Registered
294 Posts
check it out

do exactly what you are doing and dont take anyones word for it. I believe it could still be original, they all dont go bad and some people dont do good maintenance. I recommend searching out timing belts on here and then pull some covers and investigate for yourself weather or not you have oem parts or replacement. I can tell you this if you are handy, replace it, a 200.00 timing kit beats the heck out of a 2200.00 used replacement engine and thats without labor to install it..
I know I just replaced an engine

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
My car lasted 92k before I changed the timing belt. I too was the third owner and I too had no idea how dangerous it was to let it go unchanged. So your car COULD still be on its first belt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
yes they had the old style, at least the early 99's did that is a split vin year some changes were made in the later vins but I dont know exactly what changes were.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
No timing belt worries here.
Your just jealous you dont have one to worry about :p

Any OP, change that belt asap, or else it could go.

Made a little chart to help you weight the opinions.

300(parts,diy, change tb) < 800 (indy and parts to change tb) < 1200 (dealer and parts to change tb) < 1500-2000 (broken tb, DIY repair) < 2000-4000 <dealer repair of broken tb)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Get it done, you will sleep better at night...

I was worried about my V6 but when I did the replacement I found that it had probably been doen already but now I know when and how long I have to wait to do it again!

The other worry is that they didnt replace all the parts, for me it seemed they replaced the water pump (non issue for 1.8T TBs) and the belt but I dont know about the tensioner and idler rollers, the idler one looked like it was gettin ready to die, so either way, you will feel better knowing what is done...

blauparts.com or ecstuning.com for the kits, great service at Blau!

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
are there physical signs of wear on the old ones?
Not usually. If there are any, it would be cracking on the inside face of the belt or wear on the outer edges. If you have the old style tensioner, it would be original and should be changed asap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts