Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a new timing belt and water pump on my 99 1.8t. I also just changed the shocks to Blistein sport shocks with HR sport springs. I drove it for the first time today and it runs smooth. The idle is perfect but when I coast in to a stop (manual) the rpms drop below the normal idle rpm whereas prior to the work the rpms increased a tad. Could this be attributed to the new spark plugs or something else? Also I am getting an ABS light illuminated on my dash. I think penetrating oil may have gotten on the sensor because I had to apply oil heavily to a rusted bolt. I am going to vag it tomorrow, but has anyone else had this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When you did the TB, did you disconnect the battery? I believe that disconnecting the battery clears the ECU’s throttle memory. From what I remember reading on this topic, there are three ways to clear this setting: disconnecting the battery, VAG-COM, and what I call the voodoo method (driver door open, hood up, key in the ignition in the accessory position). I know there are people around here that know more about this than I do…bottom line, this may be the cause of your fluctuating idle. The car’s ECU tries to monitor your driving style and then compensate in an effort to maximize fuel consumption, so the story goes…

Read this thread: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73109&highlight=throttle+body+clear

In addition, this procedure: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html

As far as the ABS, just did my brakes last weekend. Luckily, I did not have any frozen bolts. Did you try non-chlorinated brake cleaner? I believe that this stuff is safe for the ABS sensors (from what I recall on the brake cleaner can that I have). If not, you can pick up some electronic parts cleaner (like the stuff you use to clean the MAF) and spray the ABS sensor.

Good luck!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Nice work, sounds like my problem as well as many others. I'm hoping it's just a throttle body adapt w/a vag, since I cleaned my tb right before it began. Anyway, it could be a loose speed sensor connection on the passenger wheel or the unfortunate ABS pump failure. There's a whole other help group for that one on the Bentley site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.